How to change a Chevy universal radiator to a 47 flathead Ford radiator

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Iron

I decided the flathead Ford V8 radiators were to pricey so I bought a universal Chevy 24"x19" radiator from Speedway for $125.99 and made my own :D
This is the new radiator I started with, it's a horizintal flow when you get it and I turned it into a vertical flow.

IMG_6914Medium.jpg

Cut all the hose spouts and filler neck off.

IMG_6916Medium.jpg

Used the 1 3/4" tubes cut in half for the bottom 2 after cutting new hole positions to match the Ford at 12 1/2" center to center

IMG_6917Medium.jpg

IMG_6915Medium.jpg

Ordered an outlet kit for $19.99 from Speedway and cut the 1 3/4" tube in half for the top inlet tubes 10" center to center

I used the plugs I cut for the new tube positions to fill the left over holes.

IMG_6917Medium.jpg

Welded a piece of 1/8" flat aluminum in where I cut out the filler neck.

IMG_6918Medium.jpg

[;)Welded the filler neck in the new location on top of the radiator tank. Welded all the tubes in the new locations, put some small beads on the lipless tubes so the hoses won't slip off and here's what I ended up with. All I have to do is weld in the drain petcock that is included in the kit, the lower mounts and I'm done.

IMG_6919Medium.jpg

$165.00 Total invested in radiator and all parts includs shipping

uuhhmmm... Thats pretty cool![cl

I have to find a radiator for my 49 Ford Bobber because the original brass radiator is in pretty rough shape. I will definitely be perusing speedway's catalogue and learning to TIG aluminium.

Well done.

gold03

Cool!

Great work. I always wondered if this could be done successfully and now you have proven it to all. Let us know how it cooled. I bet it worked good. Some radiator guys would foo! foo! the idea. I know there is a difference in the core tube designs but I don't know if a horizontal or vertical radiator core is different. Steve

agdeuce, The radiator has worked flawlessly.
It's worked so good a buddy of mine wants me to do a radiator for his 34 Pontiac.

Latest posts

Back