Best Way To Smooth Marker Lights

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maverickmk

Rebel Rodder
I have a friend that is wanting to shave the marker lights on his Cuda. There is a relief or indentation (?) where the marker fits into (see pic)
What is the best way to do this? He heard to "just mud it in." I told him that would be the worst way. I told him he needed to weld in a patch the same size as the hole - not knowing there was an indentation. He sends me the picture below. Overlap onto the indentation? Try & hammer out the indentation? Suggestions?

fill_marker.jpg

I would leave the indentation, and make a filler panel as shown, and tack it in from the back &/or use some of the newer fusor type products to attach it, and then some high quality no-shrink filler.

Pretend the inset isn't there and make your patch panel the same size as the outside of the cutout. You want the patch piece to end up flush with the outside of the body, that way only some grinding and a skim coat of filler will be needed.

If you weld to the back part he is going to have a thick coat of filler in there and the chances of it cracking or popping out are pretty good.

Don

I'm with these guys, cut the outside the same size as the start of the emboss. Then burn it in. Very little filler should be needed when done.

Thanks for the suggestions. What would you do to the back side to prevent water from getting in there & rusting in from the back side?

If you're going to weld it in, I would cut the "flange" off, leaving the little recessed "leg". Then you have full access to the joint and you can tack the patch from the rear if needed. When you're done welding, grind both sides and smear the back with seam sealer.

If you're going to weld it in, I would cut the "flange" off, leaving the little recessed "leg". Then you have full access to the joint and you can tack the patch from the rear if needed. When you're done welding, grind both sides and smear the back with seam sealer.

This is how I would do it. I like the patch to be smooth on both sides when I'm finished.

Latest posts

Back