Plasma cutter

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

6PACKRAT

[cl Wife said she would buy me a plasma cutter for Christmas. Any suggestions on a good small portable unit? Preferably 230V, inverter equipped, to cut 3/8-1/2 steel max. [;)

thermal dynamics is the best I have used followed by hobart. I have a Everlast 50p 110/220 works fine for thin stuff but has a hard time with the thick stuff, but it was only $650.00 out of box.

I've got a Ramsond....

it works great....same one they make for Eastwood... it's either 110 or 220...just have to do the wire end and set it up for either....It cut's 1/4 like nutz and cut thru both the frame and the 1/4box I used to do the c notchs on the pickup....went thru both like a hot knife on butter...

We have a Thermodynamics Cutmaster 38 and it does a good job, but I hate using it because of all the sparks it tosses.......most of them down my shoes. :eek: Maybe I haven't played with it enough to learn how to use it, but I still have scars on top of both feet from the hot sparks.

Don

are you going to be using it every day in a fab shop type setting, or for hobbyist / tinkering / project cars?

This will probably make a difference in what you buy... no use in spending $1500 or more on a plasma that you're only going to use one day a month when it's built for a production factory... and how many times are you really going to need to cut anything over 1/2" thick?

I've got a Hypertherm 600 that I'm happy with. 8 years absolutely no issues.
I've cut 1/2" with it and it's rated for 5/8
Heard a lot of good stuff on the Thermal Dynamics too.
Make sure you get a cartridge filter to keep the moisture out cause, it's the #1 enemy of plasmas.

I've got one of the 110/220 Hobart Airforce 400..Its rated for 1/2" ..Don't know if it would make any difference being on 220,never tried it, but really 1/4" is about all it wants on 110..but most of what I do is 1/8" or 3/16" so it works fine for me.. They sure make sheetmetal easy to work with..

They make 'um in pretty small packages now & mine has 110 & 220 & will take care of biz! I don't have a gas torch & miss being able to heat stuff up to bend it etc but plasmas are definitely safer than bottles IMO.

BoB

Gotta keep those feet movin!!! lol

We have a Thermodynamics Cutmaster 38 and it does a good job, but I hate using it because of all the sparks it tosses.......most of them down my shoes. :eek: Maybe I haven't played with it enough to learn how to use it, but I still have scars on top of both feet from the hot sparks.

Don

Mine throws sparks but they seem to blow in the direction of the cut from the air pressure..... I try to keep the cut moving away from me if possible...easier to drag it toward you but then the sparks do fly at your feet.... so maybe I've developed an unusual way of cutting..[S seems to work ok...

are you going to be using it every day in a fab shop type setting, or for hobbyist / tinkering / project cars?

This will probably make a difference in what you buy... no use in spending $1500 or more on a plasma that you're only going to use one day a month when it's built for a production factory... and how many times are you really going to need to cut anything over 1/2" thick?

You are right. I'll just be tinkering and using it a lot on my next project. Couldn't really justify $1,500 or more for that!

Thanks for that thought I never had.

Latest posts

Back