braze welding question

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmontanez

My buddy owes me a favor, so I asked if he could weld in some bucket seat brackets for my 64 chevelle. He said he could do it but it would be braze welded. Is brazing good for this application? Will it be strong enough

Thanks

I have never like brazing where welding should be used. Braze a radiator, weld a seat.
If the brackets are steel.... weld them. Even if it is Oxygen acetylene welding with steel filler, it would be better than brass.

I'm curious about this subject. How does TIG welding with silicon bronze rod compare? Is that the braze welding being discussed? or Oxy-acetelyene and brazing rod?

Thanks fellas, he said he use a gas torch with a bronze rod, so I guess no to that. I'm new to welding and one of my buddies let me borrow his Lincoln 100hd flux welder, I've practiced with it but that seems like it won't do the bracket job, probably just have to hire a welder

I'm curious about this subject. How does TIG welding with silicon bronze rod compare? Is that the braze welding being discussed? or Oxy-acetelyene and brazing rod?

Brazing is typically Oxy-acetelyene welding with brass filler. Farmers liked it because it was easy. The problem is brass does not mix well in steel, and there was not much penitration, more like glue. I use it for decorative purposes, but not for sticking steel to steel. I also use it for copper to copper in some instances. Tig welding a bronze material would be great with silicon bronze. Like a sculpture from a foundry.

I've seen some race cars where the professional fabricators have TIG braze welded lighter material. Makes a beautiful weld.

In welding class in college (1965, I intended to be a shop teacher) we oxy/brazed 3/8" thick steel plates together. Butted them, with a very deep "V". They had to pass a 180 degree face bend and a 180 degree root bend. Pretty strong, but you are right, it is not melting of the parent metals in the way that welding is.

if by gas you mean mapp gas i would steer clear. if he means oxy/act then you can use steel filler rod and weld it that way. lots of times on real thin stuff i prefer oxy/act, it's easier to control heat than mig for me. i do a lot of brazing and it can be pretty strong. maybe this is the push you need to invest in a welder. if you get a mig i wouldn't go flux core.

Silicon bronze is an excellent choice for sheet metal. In fact, thats what the auto makers use in body assembly. It generates less heat.

Brazing isn't a welding process. It's a joining process, might as well be glued.

X2

I've done a fair amount of oven brazing castings. Bronze to iron or steel is a mechanical bond.

Attachments

• bronze 2.jpg
    bronze 2.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 7
X2

I've done a fair amount of oven brazing castings. Bronze to iron or steel is a mechanical bond.

I wasn't referring to the multitude of manufacturing processes that use brazing as part of the assembly process. I was referring to melting brass between two pieces of steel. Yes it is a mechanical bond, so is glue.

Oxy-Gas WELDING

I am no "expert" on the subject but I was into a project a couple years ago where I was building 2 x 2 square tubing, after other parts were assembled onto one side of the tube.

I was using my Oxy-Accetline (?) gas, WITH NO FILLER MATERIAL, and welded the two pieces together simply by applying the proper heat, letting the material come up to the melting-point and forming a puddle and moving on down the joint/connection point, until the whole seam was finished.

Once I got the proper heat applied, it was simply a matter of watching the puddle of melted steel flow together from each side and moving on down the seam.

It made a real nice seam/weld and has stood up to some pretty rough useage since that time too.

I have used the Oxy-gas system to "weld" some thicker materials together too and they seem to "fuse" together, with or without a iron-wire filler, depending on the gap that was there to be filled.

I will agree with the guys who don't recommend BRASS ROD be used as a filler though. Brass is pretty brittle and it will break if it is put under pressure. A STEEL FILLER, like wire, be it thin or even #9 black wire, works good when "joining" two pieces of heavier steel together.

I was told by an "old-timer" that the Black Smiths of years back used their charcoal-pot and forced air to create enough heat to melt some of that old steel they had (back then) and those pieces look like they were cast units, when in all actuality - they were WELDED TOGETHER with just heat and the base material.

As far as I'm concerned, it is one of those "AQUIRED SKILLS" that one gets,
with a lot of PRACTICE............ But IT DOES WORK:)

Latest posts

Back