Trailer mods

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

addes426

I'm not much of a welder but things stay put. I'll work on the pretty. When I bought this trailer, it had a homemade dove tail and ramps. I liked the dove tail but the ramps dropped in and the cleats were on top. Looked bad, hard to handle. This is my solution. Not pretty but I'll repaint in the spring.

Attachments

• trailer mods 001.jpg
    trailer mods 001.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 73
  • trailer mods 002.jpg
    trailer mods 002.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 69
Only bad thing about doing them like that is if you have a car that hangs off the rear a bit, you have nowhere to lay them. You might want to make a couple of straps out of flat bar that mount on the sides of the ramps to hold them vertical.

Only bad thing about doing them like that is if you have a car that hangs off the rear a bit, you have nowhere to lay them. You might want to make a couple of straps out of flat bar that mount on the sides of the ramps to hold them vertical.

Agreed. I have enough strap for one side but not both. That's another project. I had a trailer where the ramp was full across the back. It caught so much wind. I wanted it so I could lay them down when empty. :D

Can't you make them removable ?

Same principal but pin slides out.....or are they really too heavy? Just wondering....

Same principal but pin slides out.....or are they really too heavy? Just wondering....

No, they come out. I welded a big washer on one end and drilled a hole for a linch pin in the other. I think I'm going to weld an angle to the bottom front side edge of the ramp, so I can use the slot that goes all the way across the back. Like it was when I bought it. Wouldn't use it much or often but I like having options. With that set up you have to store the ramps some place then man handle them every time, back and forth.

Not downing your work, but another problem might be those ears sticking up in the middle if you have to load a low car. Looks like they might hit.

Maybe you could build some ramps out of aluminum if the steel ones are too heavy. Just my two cents.....:D

Not downing your work, but another problem might be those ears sticking up in the middle if you have to load a low car. Looks like they might hit.

Maybe you could build some ramps out of aluminum if the steel ones are too heavy. Just my two cents.....:D

It's cool. This was not my original plan. The ears were to be mounted on the vertical edge, not the top. I lost the plates to span the channel on the edge of the dove tail. Crap! I had everything out and ground clean, so I changed my plan. With my welding skills, changing it back later probably won't be too big of a deal. :D I have a 90 Vette, it might drag. I honestly doubt it would clear the angle on the dove tail with out some 2x10s to change the pitch anyway. We'll see.

Latest posts

Back