home built grills

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't quite qualify, but I fixed one up for a '36 Ford truck, and I'm going to put two grilles together to make a '34 Plymouth one. I will have to make the whole grille for my '34 Dodge Brothers truck as there isn't one good piece left in it.
The only trick I can tell you is you have to do good metal work, [heat shrinking and hammering right], because you can't use body filler on the front of a car where rocks will hit it and flake off big chunks of filler.
Go for it.

Attachments

• IMG_1006.jpg
    IMG_1006.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 45
Ok whos built their own grills? For like the 30s .:cool:

Hey Bro. Are you talking about the grill itself, or the grill shell as well? I finally scrapped it, but I saved the upper part of the rear hatch off of our 93 Chrysler minivan for awhile, thinking that it could be cut down to make a grill shell, although it would come out a bit more squarish in some of the lines than a real 30's grill shell.

talking about the grill insert. I looked on line and found someone who is building them. they want 1540.00 for the insert that would fit a 34 dodge shell. thats alum. and than chrome plated and polished. 1/4 inch apart(each tooth in grill.spaced) than one for 850. that's 3/8 inch apart.

Thanks Moparfinman. If you look closely, you'll notice that I had to make the bottom of the shell first, as it was rotted away. The insert is all made out of 1/8" cold rolled steel. I considered making it out of stainless, but for the car I'm building I wanted a painted grille anyway. Stainless would have been a bitch to work with, because it pulls like a ******* when you weld it. I ended up brazing all of my welds, since brazing doesn't pull much when it cools.

Anyway, there's about 120 feet of rod. I made the perimeter first, and then laid out all the rods and spaced them with 1/4" nuts (standing on edge). I had my helper hold and keep an eye on everything and just worked my way around the outside. I added the two stabilizer bars - partly for looks, but they also stiffen the shell up nicely. I think it only took me part of a day to do it completely.

Total cost? Probably $30 and a days worth of .... fun! I enjoy this so much I think I should pay myself!

Good luck if you do it yourself. For the cost, even if it doesn't turn out, you're not out much.

I like that!:cool: I want to build something similar to yours. I have a 31 Plymouth that I was thinking about putting a 34 Dodge grill on. I have the grill shell for the 31, but no insert. Not sure which way I'll go but will be making my own. I just can't see paying 1000. for an insert.
the 1/8 rod is it sold by the foot?

Latest posts

Back