Cleco clips

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gold03

He lives in an "Altered State"!
I saw this on Lazze metal shaping, and thought I would make some. 18 g sheet metal 1" by 1 1/2" then drill two 1/8 holes evenly spaced. I cut all the sheet metal pieces then clamped and drilled them all at the same time. All of the holes are the same distance apart. I can use the Clecos to fasten a butt joint by placing the strip across the butt joint and drilling two 1/8 holes, then fasten with Cleco. The advantage is I can do it all from one side and not have to reach under or have someone help clamp it.

Clecos are only .99 cents each.

The hole is easy to weld with a MIG and a piece of copper backing after all the seam is welded. Gap in sheet metal can be adjusted when drilling the holes to allow for penetration if needed.

Attachments

• IMG_0552.jpg
    IMG_0552.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0553.jpg
    IMG_0553.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 62
Maybe just me.....

you aren't bridging the gap with the 18ga you are making a clamp to hold the two metals to butt weld it..correct..so you simply drill the holes in either side of the two panels you are butt welding and using this Cleco butt clamp to replace the other type...correct? I can see where that would eliminate having someone under the panel to help afix the butt weld clamp...cool....[cl Good idea...

I used them with angle iron to help support and hold at the same time, then to when I put in the strip they hold and are not in the way.They are dang handy.

Attachments

• weld2.jpg
    weld2.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 70
  • weld8.jpg
    weld8.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 70
I used them with angle iron to help support and hold at the same time, then to when I put in the strip they hold and are not in the way.They are dang handy.

Thats a nice idea for getting your chop lined up. Before I do my roof I'm going to make some 18 ga 3/4 inch angle on the shear and brake. then I'm going to use my shrinker stretcher to make it match the profile of the roof. I'm going to tack four of them to the roof front to back then cut the roof. this will maintain the shape of the roof when I cut it into four. The angle iron idea you did will actually assist me with aligning it all back up to make the filler pieces.

gold03

cleco's are great for brand new, perfectly straight metal. like making a box from sheetmetal.

but in the real world, stuff needs some tension on it to pull it together, especially when curves are present.

as a bodyman, vise grips work great, but I pass on the cleco's.

I've had great luck with small 1/4 inch self tapping sheet metal screws.

they pull the two pieces of metal together nice and tight, and can be removed half a dozen times.

since you have to weld shut the drilled holes anyway, I've found that the small zip screws are actually FASTER than the clecos!

you have less tools floating around, and they don't sag!

I like the tek screw idea.. them and a screw gun are plenty fast. I love Clecos for joints that will ultimately end up rivited.

Latest posts

Back