Shaping roadster panels

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's very nice. Is there a way to put a low crown in a panel like your door with only hand tools?

That's very nice. Is there a way to put a low crown in a panel like your door with only hand tools?

You beat me to it...

Sorry if I am confusing anyone with the backwards pics. I am in no way saying this is how things are done, just the way that I tackled it..

Below is a pic after I cut the sheet metal for the door skin allowing 3/8 around the edge to lap over the inner door structure. As you can see there are markings on the metal going back and forth. These are the paths that I took with a hammer to shape it. The outside of the door is slightly convex. To get this shape I put the outside of the door down on my steel bench after I made sure was very flat and clean and started hitting all over the back with a slight radius hammer following these paths to make sure I hit every square inch about 10 times. This action slightly raised the other side creating the convex shape.

Forming_door-1.jpg

In the picture below you will see the door skin that has already been shaped. At this time the door skin is convex and looks like a door skin without a raised belt line. To create the belt line I clamped a 1/4" thick bar to my table and allowed the section that would become the belt line hang over. I then chased that 1/4" bar with a well rounded edge 1" flat chisel (The sharp edge is ground off) and a hammer. slowly beating the panel down to create the belt line.

Forming_door-3.jpg

Forming_door-4.jpg

Soon I will be starting the inner door structure..

I have a frame I have been building for another Model A project of mine. I sat this little beauty on it and now I am torn... It is going to be hard to keep with my original plans.

roadster_frame_1.jpg

roadster_frame_2.jpg

hand_fabbed_rpu.jpg

hand_fabbed_rpu_2.jpg

Latest posts

Back