Welding job I did today

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charley Davidson

Got called in to the company I'm laid off from to do a welding sample and it turned into a welding job for a few days. This is by far the thickest metal I've ever welded. I welded 3 of these up and have 10 or so more to do on Monday plus about that many more of a 5 piece weldment of which I welded 9 of today. May lead to a big contract for the company.

Attachments

• DSC00410.JPG
    DSC00410.JPG
    110.7 KB · Views: 171
  • DSC00411.JPG
    DSC00411.JPG
    114.1 KB · Views: 146
Nice work. What kind of welder did you use? I know nothing about welding but I would think a stick is the only welder that can weld something that thick.

Did you preheat the pieces with a torch first ?

Don
No, there was no need to, The welder is very powerful I could actually burn through the 3/8ths material if I wanted to

Nice work. What kind of welder did you use? I know nothing about welding but I would think a stick is the only welder that can weld something that thick.

Mig, it has 3 ranges I put it in high and welded at a pretty low setting on the amps it's a badass. And yes it penetrated well.

Geeze! How thick are those pieces? Looks like that base piece is 2" thick!

Hope you get the work.

I don't think I told you I stopped by your old shop once when you were gone - I'm gonna make me one of those ratchet grill spatula/forks.

Geeze! How thick are those pieces? Looks like that base piece is 2" thick!

Hope you get the work.

I don't think I told you I stopped by your old shop once when you were gone - I'm gonna make me one of those ratchet grill spatula/forks.

Yea I remember when you stopped by, I think I was out of town. Build one but ya gotta post pics.

Here's some more pics of those weldments after cleaning up and some others I did. Any tips/critiques from you pros is welcome

Attachments

• weldments (1).JPG
    weldments (1).JPG
    120 KB · Views: 51
  • weldments (2).JPG
    weldments (2).JPG
    114.2 KB · Views: 53
  • weldments (3).JPG
    weldments (3).JPG
    115 KB · Views: 52
  • weldments (4).JPG
    weldments (4).JPG
    119.6 KB · Views: 55
  • weldments (5).JPG
    weldments (5).JPG
    115.1 KB · Views: 57
  • weldments (6).JPG
    weldments (6).JPG
    119.1 KB · Views: 54
You asked so I will answer.

Overall the welding isn't terrible. Pic 5 of 6 is a little sketchy with lots of cold lap though.

I see a lot of large spatter droplets.

This tells me you voltage and amp settings are not in the proper range.

I will assume you are using 75/25 argon CO2 gas.

If so you should be using spray transfer on this. IF not you need to switch gas types.

Turn up your voltage and adjust your wire feed speed until you get very little crackling sound.

Should sound more like water going over a fall instead of frying bacon.

If I knew your current settings, wire size and gas I could dial you in a little better.

By the way getting out of globular transfer and into spray will help fix that cold lap problem.

Thanks Goose em, Don't think this machine is capable of anything but straight mig[S

Here's some more pics, another guy set the machine that is a pro welder but set it using a little lighter material, you will see his welds in 2 of the pics on some scrap. The owner was insistent on me leaving the settings where they were (I disagreed but did as I was told)

Picture of welder shows settings

Attachments

• DSC00423.JPG
    DSC00423.JPG
    133.7 KB · Views: 47
  • latest welds (1).JPG
    latest welds (1).JPG
    117.2 KB · Views: 48
  • latest welds (2).JPG
    latest welds (2).JPG
    116.4 KB · Views: 49
  • latest welds (3).JPG
    latest welds (3).JPG
    118.3 KB · Views: 54
  • latest welds (4).JPG
    latest welds (4).JPG
    115.7 KB · Views: 52
  • latest welds (5).JPG
    latest welds (5).JPG
    117.1 KB · Views: 47
Those look better. pic 5 of 6 is the best I think. Your whipping a little too much in the rest.

Tighten those whips up a little and you should be good.

With that machine that is about the best you will get.

I have loathed that type of machine forever. I hate voltage taps, prefer one where you can dial voltage to whatever you want.

Using that machine on thick stuff you may consider a pre-heat. Won't need much, maybe 200 F

Latest posts

Back