building some bomber seats

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cornfield customs

so i am building a set of bomber seats for a customer . i figured i would document the building of them and make a thread . these are pretty much a plain jane, basic set style i make ( they can get pretty fancy with custom orders) these are made from 16 gauge aluminum, will update the thread as i progress.

this is what we are making

DSCN5744.jpg

seat back cut out

DSCN5733.jpg

back braces cut, bead rolled and some drilling

DSCN5734.jpg

side brace, where the seat belt hole is

DSCN5735.jpg

seat bottom cut out

DSCN5738.jpg

brace that attaches to the seat back and seat bottom, holes still need dimpled

DSCN5740.jpg

all the pieces cut, drilled and bead rolled, all the large holes still need dimpled, and the seat belt holes will be cut out later

DSCN5741.jpg

DSCN5743.jpg

DSCN5742.jpg

Wow, that's awesome. I really like those. And those are just the "regular" ones? I would love to see what the fancy ones look like.

made a little more progress on the seat today, should finish it up tomorrow. i have been waiting to get my dimple dies back to do the holes before i got to carried away riveting things together

DSCN5745.jpg

DSCN5746.jpg

DSCN5747.jpg

DSCN5748.jpg

DSCN5749.jpg

You do very nice work, I am definitely impressed.

You are not going to get my ass to sit on that however... wheres the comfort ? heh heh

got the first seat of the set finished up minus going over it with a scotch brite to give it a brushed aluminum look. also started the second seat of the pair today.

seat belt holes and added and extra hole on the side

DSCN5750.jpg

DSCN5752.jpg

added the side brace on the inside

DSCN5751.jpg

and the finished product ( seat 1 of the pair)

DSCN5754.jpg

DSCN5755.jpg

DSCN5759.jpg

DSCN5760.jpg

second seat of the pair starting to go together

DSCN5762.jpg

DSCN5763.jpg

DSCN5764.jpg

Those are great looking seats. I always enjoy seeing your work. Could you give us a little insight as to how you do the actual riveting. Are you hand hammering them or do you have another method?

i was going to post pics of the tools i use to rivet them together with, but i took the pics and left the camera at the shop. so until i post the pics, i use a pneumatic rivet gun set at 30 psi, and a bucking bar ( a 2 inx1.5 inch chunk os steel with a handle) and every one is done by hand that way

Not sure if you care about my opinion but hell, I'll give it anyway!

Love the seats, absolutely fantastic looks and amazing fabricating skills! My only issues are the bullets, not feeling them to be honest. Also, any ideas for comfort?

what bullets? are you talking about the cleco's? they are just a tool used to hold the parts together during fabrication and riveting, they are like a re usable sheet metal screw but works a lot better.

more progress, got both seats finished up today

this was about half way riveted together on the second seat

DSCN5765.jpg

the tools used to put them together, a pneumatic rivet gun, bucking bar, rivets, and your hands

DSCN5766.jpg

both seats all finished up

DSCN5768.jpg

what bullets? are you talking about the cleco's? they are just a tool used to hold the parts together during fabrication and riveting, they are like a re usable sheet metal screw but works a lot better.

I stand corrected :D sorry about that! They look great then...I wish I could get a pair for my truck!

its all good, of you want a set for your truck let me know i can make all kinds of designs

Ah! Thakns for the offer, prolly good money for em for the quality I see which is expected, quite possibly doesn't fit into my budget at this moment but I will keep you posted!

Latest posts

Back