Welding flash - stupid question

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruno

Crusty Rusty Old Rat Rodder!
First off i am not a welder, spot welds and such with a 110 mig welder are about all that i do. Now for my question, as dumb as it sounds. My house dogs like coming in my garage when i'm out there, can they get welding flash to their eyes.[S I had it happen once and it was no fun! Before some one says it, i don't believe they make flip up doggie goggles:D

Yeah, I would think they could. From what I understand 'welding flash' is actually sunburn on your eye and the sandy gritty feeling is your eyeball peeling :eek:

I know they can. I have a chihuahua that used to watch me. We took him to the vet because he was wimpering, so I figured he got something in his eye. Vet asked me how he burned his eyes before I even mentioned a welder.

Absolutely they can and they aren't understanding enough to look away. When Sniff and Scooter (my two cats who are no longer with us :() used to come in the shop while we were working we would start welding and suddenly remember they were around and most times they were sitting in their chairs staring at the flash ! :eek: We would put them in the office until we were done.

Animal's eyes are no different from ours and they will be damaged by the flash.

Don

I think that's a legitimate question
My dog take off when we start grinding and welding so, I don't have to worry bout her.

dog-goggles.jpg

Old Indian trick,when you burn your E-balls welding,cut potato slices close your eyes put the slices on your eye lids, your eyes will be better in just a few minutes 10-15:D it does work why I don't know[S lol ......... but the dog may not like it:eek:,let me know how that works out ok........ LOL :DLOL

Old Indian trick,when you burn your E-balls welding,cut potato slices close your eyes put the slices on your eye lids, your eyes will be better in just a few minutes 10-15:D it does work why I don't know[S lol ......... but the dog may not like it:eek:,let me know how that works out ok........ LOL :DLOL

And using an eye dropper, put milk in your eyes. It makes the pain bearable.

My Dad was a welder for a company that built tanks, have seen him with potato eyes more than once when i was a kid!![cl

My dad was a wrlder and this is what he did.Before he let me know I spent the night in the ER with tubes in both eys flushing them.

shop pets

I got two cats that hang out and they chase the sparks from the plasma cutter:D might have to get them some leathers

Last edited:
the last welding table i built i made a screen aound the back so the dogs wouldn't get a flash burn. on bigger stuff i just take them in the house. also they are trained, if i cut loose with some colorful langauge, they head for the house anyway. :D that way i don't have to stop what i'm doing.

I've been a welder for 40 years. Yes the dog can burn his eyes. If you do burn your eyesslightly use the potatoes as mentioned. Youcan also take a wash rag ,wet it,wring it out, put in deep freeze until frosty then apply to your eyes. What each of these do is pull the heat or fever from your eyes. If severe get to doctor they use ponocain as a deadener. You only have two eyes and neeed to protect them.

ABSOLUTELY !!! Arc flash is dangerous to human and animal alike. UV can bounce off of shiny materials, white painted wall etc. Don't let your Wife, kids or pets in your welding area.

Latest posts

Back