Metal filler and powder coating

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pistolpete

I can't recall the name of the product, but I thought I had read it on here. Is there a metal filler you could use to fill pitting and such that will withstand the heat of powder coating? I thought there was a type of metalic two part filler that would take the heat. Maybe I imagined it but thought I would ask.

Thanks

I worked on a powder line for 3 years, but we never were asked to fill any pits or crevices before coating. The powder actually has a tendency to fill most pits, as it flows out while baking. I will say, however, that I am not impressed with powder coating. It seems to me that its biggest advantage is that the parts can be handled as soon as they cool, much sooner than with most types of wet coating. But it has a serious tendency to not coat well in corners, and it does not seem to hold up well, either. (This was all single coating we did in the shop where I worked - I understand that there is a process for double coating that may perfom better. It is also possible that this shop was not preparing the parts properly prior to coating.)

I've used lab metal in the past. Powder coating angled pieces tends to get a bit tricky. I have a small unit that also has dual voltage for re coats. It works well, but there is some waste because of having to stay on one area for a longer period of time. Sometimes if I have a hard part to powder, I will hot coat it with powder after the part gets hot, then stick it back in the oven for a while and is good. I've done wheels ,and they are very tricky. But, again hot coating does the trick .

Thanks guys. It's for a Model A frame a buddy is working on, its not majorly pitted, but enough he wants to try and smooth it out before he sends the frame out for coating.

Might work for molding and smoothing welds. Here's what they say;

For leveling or filling jobs that withstand up to 1000 degrees F, you need our High-Temperature Lab Metal Even in high-temperature applications, you can make permanent, rustproof, metal repairs with Hi-Temp Lab Metal.

No messy mixing or measuring
Creates a durable, heat-resistant, rustproof repair
Can be machined, ground, filed and sanded
Paint or powder-coat afterwards

Attachments

• lab.jpg
    lab.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 0
When my Son Dan built the frame for his rpu he wanted it perfect, so before having it powder coated he used the Lab Metal and skimmed the entire frame with it and sanded it smooth first. That stuff is the hardest filler in the world to sand and he chewed up a lot of hours and sanding discs in the process.

When we had the frame powder coated the coater screwed up and put the clear coat on too late in the process which caused the clear to crack as we were bolting parts on. They had to sandblast it back to bare metal and start over, which also removed all the Lab Metal in the process ! :eek:

This time around I couldn't see him going through all that sanding again so he skimmed it and we took it to a local body shop and let them do the sanding. When we picked it up they said they couldn't believe how hard it was to sand smooth, they had never seen anything like it and said they would never do another one.

But it does hold up under the 400 degree powder coating process, which regular filler will not. (and it isn't cheap, either)

Don

Latest posts

Back