Plastic "Welding"

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skip

I just scored a NOS plastic gas tank. Came with a sender, fuel neck and cap, for $20. I think it is most likely something for a boat, by the odd shape. The only problem is that it is too big. Has anyone had any success with "sectioning" a plastic fuel tank? I haven't looked into patch material yet, but I believe it is available. This would just be a 360 degree patch. :D It looks like black PVC.

I have used a gun with the plastic sticks that looks like a glue gun for these bumpers on cars , and Ive seen them weld together a big ol 12 " pipe . so you are right they got something to do it with but there are 2 or 3 different types of plastic and one wont weld to the other type .. (different amounts of oil in them I think )

Thanks, Guys! I guess its back to HF for a plastic welding tool.

Might do a bit more research first, though.

I am getting ideas on using the JB Weld for the job.

Last edited:
Go back and find the thread on the F100 with the T bird underpinnings. He had mentioned he tried to section a plastic gas tank with out much luck. I can't remember his name right now, it's the one he cut the big hole in the hood.

Go back and find the thread on the F100 with the T bird underpinnings. He had mentioned he tried to section a plastic gas tank with out much luck. I can't remember his name right now, it's the one he cut the big hole in the hood.
That should be easy enough to find. :D Ill look for it.

Maybe the tank will fit something else, or I can trade it off. I got it cheaper than I could get the filler neck and cap from the Pick-n-Pull up the street. Even has a sending unit.

Speaking of P-n-P, most times I can get the yard next door to pull the parts I need for less money. Not sure what is going on with them. The other day I pulled a bunch of little stuff, only to discover that they wanted a fortune for it all. I walked. I did tell the counter kid that I understood that he didn't set the prices, and so I wasn't mad at him. Asked him to pass on to management that they lost another customer. Kinda' sad.

Found it, Bam. Thanks! Looking at that patch job is not all that pleasing to my sense of esthetics. I'm sure it works fine, but...
What I was thinking of doing is even more ambitions. Maybe I'll just stay happy with my $20 8-gallon plastic fuel cell. I am not likely to go very far with the truck anyway. :D

Latest posts

Back