Worst welding ever???

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZRodDave

Could be. I just bought this '78 Chevy 3/4 ton with a super LOUD exhaust. Crawl under it and this is what I found:

P7280226_zpsxp9opktu.jpg

P7280227_zpstqdzxiau.jpg

Hispanic fellow, and I suppose they were working under the theory that if you pile MORE on, it will eventually close over? I'm not a great welder, but even I would not put anything like this on any vehicle. Atrocious !!! :eek:

I got both sides off and I doubt that there is even one FOOT of reusable pipe on this kluge of patchwork. Found sheet metal screws that were used to try and plug some of the holes in the horrible welding attempt, holes drilled in the pipes AND the mufflers, and what you might call hangers, but that would be a gift! I don't know what the heck they were thinking, or trying to do, but put this down as a MAJOR FAIL !!! Bought new pipe and Thrush mufflers, but ran out of daylight. Bit I CAN tell you it sounds WAY better with open headers. [cl

BTW, it was 83 degrees and sunny here today. Just thought you frozen northerners would like to know. :D

Last edited:
kinda looks like they have stood well back and thrown bits of molten metal at it
we call that bird sh*t weld here...

kinda looks like they have stood well back and thrown bits of molten metal at it
we call that bird sh*t weld here...

Friend of mine from the Isle of Man tells the story of taking a welding class in middle school, and the project was to build a birdhouse. The teacher came over to his attempt and started looking around at the ceiling. My friend asked, "What are you looking for, professor?" "I'm looking for the bird that crapped all over this nice clean metal!"

I hope you saved a piece of that for your shop wall....

I have all of it laying on the ground next to the truck right now. Was thinking of taking a couple more pics, but I think you all have the idea already. If I had a shop that had walls, I would probably keep part of it and start a wall of shame! Probably just add it to the scrap pile for now...

I have to agree with Bonehead. That makes my welding look pretty good. Defiantly no where near Boneheads nice work but this gives me some hope and a little bit of comic relief. I just hope the exhaust is all that guy welded on your new rig. :rolleyes:

At first glance I thought that was the driveshaft! MIG welding with gas wire and no gas maybe?

I thought the EXACT SAME THING!!! :eek:

That looks like a mess.... my 1st welds with a mig looked like that for about the 1st 10 minutes I guess... I'm glad I graduated past blowing holes and leaving bugers :D

I got both sides off and I doubt that there is even one FOOT of reusable pipe on this kluge of patchwork. Found sheet metal screws that were used to try and plug some of the holes in the horrible welding attempt, holes drilled in the pipes AND the mufflers, and what you might call hangers, but that would be a gift! I don't know what the heck they were thinking, or trying to do, but put this down as a MAJOR FAIL !!! Bought new pipe and Thrush mufflers, but ran out of daylight. Bit I CAN tell you it sounds WAY better with open headers. [cl

BTW, it was 83 degrees and sunny here today. Just thought you frozen northerners would like to know. :D

I am new so don't get excited.

I have drilled a hole all the way through a exhaust pipe that kept moving
or slipping off and put a bolt and nut and another to lock on it.
Where I didn't want to weld it.

Often a self drilling sheet metal screw or two when needed will hold a
pipe in place so you can drop the whole thing down and weld it without
getting anything out of place.

I have seen exhaust where a tin can was split down the sides, ends removed
and put over holes with radiator clamps.

typical muffler brake shop job

I worked a while in a shop that did exhaust work and you see lots of that.
most younger guys are not taught to weld, and don't have the desire to learn, because they say no money to be made doing exhaust repair , So you get the you can lead the horse to water syndrome.
Usually they will keep piling it on to stop any leaks , and if that don't work they get the tube of muffler cement.

Just because you can buy a welder doesn't make you a welder!

Latest posts

Back