58 Dodge fire truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

falconvan

Always wanted a fire truck but didn’t have the room for it. So this is the next best thing. This originally came from a fire department in Kentucky and passed through a few owners after it was retired. It still only has 72,000 miles on the clock and the old 230 inch flat six and four speed runs awesome. It’s got some rust out from sitting with the passenger window down. The passenger side of the floor I’ve already fixed and the bottom of the door is toast so I found another door. The steering and brakes are horrible; someone transplanted a Chevy steering box on it which is junk and the original brakes aren’t big enough to stop a truck half this size. The rear springs have a huge overload pack; I guess for when it was loaded with equipment.

So the plan is to upgrade steering and brakes, lower it, fix the rust out, and replace the crispy original wiring. I’m keeping the 230 and the four speed; it just runs too good to change it. I bought this 88 Dakota; I’m going to swap the front frame stub and the rearend to make it a little more highway friendly. Seems like the cheapest and easiest way to do it. It’s not getting major bodywork or paint, I like the character the way it is.

Attachments

• 1958-dodge-d100-factory-utility-fire-truck-very-solid-all-orig-survivor-ky-1 (2).jpg
    1958-dodge-d100-factory-utility-fire-truck-very-solid-all-orig-survivor-ky-1 (2).jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 51
  • 1958-dodge-d100-factory-utility-fire-truck-very-solid-all-orig-survivor-ky-3 (1).jpg
    1958-dodge-d100-factory-utility-fire-truck-very-solid-all-orig-survivor-ky-3 (1).jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 62
  • 1958-dodge-d100-factory-utility-fire-truck-very-solid-all-orig-survivor-ky-13.jpg
    1958-dodge-d100-factory-utility-fire-truck-very-solid-all-orig-survivor-ky-13.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 55
  • dakota.jpg
    dakota.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 50
Kool... my buddy's a retired fireman & is always working on some old firetruck. His son is a fireman & has a couple too. Having room for one is always a prob!

Keep us posted! [dr

BoB

Thanks! Here's a shot of the inside after I patched the floor and put a new floor mat in. Mechanically I haven't had to do much; just tuned it up and replaced the fuel tank that was full of rust.

Attachments

• 58 int.jpg
    58 int.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 57
Thanks! Here's a shot of the inside after I patched the floor and put a new floor mat in. Mechanically I haven't had to do much; just tuned it up and replaced the fuel tank that was full of rust.

The condition of that interior is amazing. [cl. I need that shift lever. [ddd :cool:

Got the Dakota rear swapped in; perfect fit. Even the driveshaft will work with a ujoint change. Just leaving it bolted in loose until I get the front clip in and see what the front ride height looks like.

Attachments

• 51E116E5-F1DB-4DC6-B55D-53E80B2E62A2.jpg
    51E116E5-F1DB-4DC6-B55D-53E80B2E62A2.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 23
  • FB536237-98F9-45DB-B9CA-3D57911F1DAC.jpg
    FB536237-98F9-45DB-B9CA-3D57911F1DAC.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 22

Latest posts

Back