circle burner

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R Pope

I already posted this on another forum, but I'm so proud of it I thought I'd share it with you guys too. It's a home-made circle cutter torch attachment. I found a cable clamp that fit over the torch tubes, and welded a sharpened rod to it. Ten minutes tops, and maybe a buck or so invested. Works like a charm.

I made one for my plasma with a sealed bearing welded to a rod, with a adjustable roller near the head, and an adjustable point at the other end of the rod. The plasma head drops into the inside of the bearing.

It is a great tip, thanks big R.

Pictures!?

I already posted this on another forum, but I'm so proud of it I thought I'd share it with you guys too. It's a home-made circle cutter torch attachment. I found a cable clamp that fit over the torch tubes, and welded a sharpened rod to it. Ten minutes tops, and maybe a buck or so invested. Works like a charm.

Where da pictures man?!?! U know how we r about da pictures!!!

BoB

Hey..........I wanna see the pictures too!! I'm always looking for better ways to do it.
Here's a few shots of our holder for the plasma cutter.
100_2289.jpg

100_2291.jpg

100_2290.jpg

I cut up to two inch steel with this set up.................
I didn't mean to high jack your post Mr. Pope, I just felt this fit in.

This cracks me up.:D
Tomorrow, I am borrowing my neighbors plasma cutter and was going to make a circle cutter to make some large stainless parts for a job I am doing.

Bonehead and R Pope, do you have pictures?

You guys are answering my questions before I ask them. :eek:

27T, can you explaine how yours works?

Practice 1st!!!

Thanks Bonehead. This will be the first time I will be using a plasma. I am looking forward to it.

Maddog,
I suggest u do a little practicin' B4 u start on anything u're fond of!!! Cuttin' a straight line or followin' a curve takes a 'lil gettin' used to! One more thing... roll u're cuffs down!!! Doubt u wanna cook u're feets!!!

BoB

This one is my torch circle burner. It is a factory job. Sorry about the pictures, Vista is hard to work with. ( still working this out)

Attachments

• torch circle burner.jpg
    torch circle burner.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 41
  • torch circle burner1.jpg
    torch circle burner1.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Burn table

I have brought this up before, and now more of you have plasma cutters.
I have two different units, and have been running a hand held unit for about 10 years now. I have a big concern with the smoke and metal particles that the plasma puts into the air. Since it is basically air forced through an arc, the air you output has to go somewhere. With it are small metal particles, that you can breath in. Aluminum is the worst. I built this burn table from an old tractor wheel. I welded a section of flat steel in the center of the wheel, and then put guides to hold 2 in by 1/8 in strap iron on edge. Gravity holds these pieces in. When they get bad turn them over, and eventualy replace. Water level is just below the strap iron.

Attachments

• burn table 2.jpg
    burn table 2.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 38
  • burntable 1.jpg
    burntable 1.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 32
Hey..........I wanna see the pictures too!! I'm always looking for better ways to do it.
Here's a few shots of our holder for the plasma cutter.
I cut up to two inch steel with this set up.................
I didn't mean to high jack your post Mr. Pope, I just felt this fit in.

Tom, I really like the holder you made. It looks like it works well. Some questions: How hard is it to take the head out of the gizzmo, for hand held work? What would you change about it? And how does it work towards the edge of plate when you are cutting? Thanks, Jeff

Bonehead, thanks. Looks perfect for my needs. I can make that quickly and have the bearings most likely.

Do the metal particles just go into the water and stay there?
If I have a big fan blowing from the back door out the roll up door for a small amount of stainless cutting will I need to worry about fumes?

Wait, I have a better idea. I am gonna move to Arizona and use your stuff.:eek::D

If you move to AZ, you would still have a commute to CO., But you are welcome to come use my stuff anyway. The fan will work, just be aware of the smoke, because it is not just smoke.
When I clean out the burn table it looks like coffee grounds in the bottom.
The water catches the heavy particles. I get a little splash sometimes from the air hitting the water, but it is a lot cleaner way to cut.

If you move to AZ, you would still have a commute to CO., But you are welcome to come use my stuff anyway. The fan will work, just be aware of the smoke, because it is not just smoke.
When I clean out the burn table it looks like coffee grounds in the bottom.
The water catches the heavy particles. I get a little splash sometimes from the air hitting the water, but it is a lot cleaner way to cut.

Are you sure you live in Co.? I thought you lived in AZ, huh. You saved me a lot of trouble driving around Az looking for an artist with a chopped truck that makes coffee with his plasma cutter, thanks.

Thanks Bonehead.

Tom, I really like the holder you made. It looks like it works well. Some questions: How hard is it to take the head out of the gizzmo, for hand held work? What would you change about it? And how does it work towards the edge of plate when you are cutting? Thanks, Jeff

Jeff, Thanks.........It does work well, I use it a lot with my art work. It's pretty easy to remove the head(two bolts on the top) and the switch is set up with snap in wire conectors.......We don't usually take it apart because we have another smaller plasma. But I do understand why you would want to remove it from time to time. I have used this set up for about 3 years now and just love it...................There is something I would change, As you can see in the pictures, it rides on rollers. These rollers are just too good at rolling!! I would rather have it drag a little. I use my hands, resting on the work, to give it some "drag". If I built another one I think I would try something like teflon instead of ball bearings to ride on.....You have to learn to "float" on the edges,Or if you turn it a little and ride on just three rollers it works great near the edge. It took sometime before I got good at it. Hope this helps guys.
By the way, I like your circle burner with the bearing.

Never mind Bonehead. I wont be moveing to Az, I mean Co. after all. I took some time and made this today. I will be using it tomorrow, it should work good. Thanks for the help.:D:D

Attachments

• service stand small 012.JPG
    service stand small 012.JPG
    82.7 KB · Views: 21
  • service stand 013.jpg
    service stand 013.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 18
I had to go out and check to make sure mine was still in the shop. Looks like a clone for sure. If the bearing hole is a little big a wrap of electrical tape on the plasma head will fix that. also, you may have to slot the roller bolt so you can adjust the head a little closer to the work. Good job, the tool should work well for you.

Latest posts

Back