Fuel Line Insulate Question

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redidbull

On my project truck the fuel line is a little too close to the header. It has some stupid Ford spring type connectors on it so I can't get any of the traditional insulator fabric you slide the line it. What do you all use for this? I wrapped some aluminum foil sticky back stuff but I am not convinced it is OK. I also thought maybe I should bend up a piece of sheet metal and make a shield. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Jim

On Chevy Ls engines the manifolds have a great insulator that can be unbolted for use in a different application. Cut to fit.

L99ExManifolds1-1.jpg

What is too close? My approach is, if you are not having a problem with it, then don't worry about it. That said, a heat shield works wonders. Light sheet aluminum works well. Mount it to the line with wiring clamps and spacers.

Have to agree...

Is there no way to reroute it so that it's away from the header? That would be my preference if it were mine.

I'd look for a way to relocate it first... if totally impossible then a heat shield would be appropriate... wraps are seldom a good permanent solution..jmho

I did reroute it a little but it is still close. I didn't get a chance to take a pic yesterday but will today if the torrential downpours slow. Thanks. Jim

I took a few pictures that came out crappy. This is the best and gives an idea what I am up against. Thinking I could attach the lines to the fire wall and make a sheetmetal/aluminum shield. Jim

Attachments

• P1210548 (Small).JPG
    P1210548 (Small).JPG
    87.5 KB · Views: 30
It is actually pvc in rubber outer. I wrapped it with heat tape but as someone stated it is a temp fix at best. I like doing things right even if it takes extra time. Thanks. Jim

So, don’t worry about anything, until it actually goes wrong? [S
Now that I have seen pictures, it does look like it may well be too close to the exhaust. I can also see sufficient room to reroute the lines out of harms way. I would run the lines on the other side of the steering shaft.

As for my comment, my friend, often times people worry about things that are not really issues. I tend to be optimistic for the most part. :D In this case, I still wouldn't worry, I'd just move the fuel lines. ;)

As for my comment, my friend, often times people worry about things that are not really issues. I tend to be optimistic for the most part. :D In this case, I still wouldn't worry, I'd just move the fuel lines. ;)

I am a worrier too. I replaced an OEM line at the fuel filter with a rubber fuel injection line and someone said I should use the correct pvc/rubber OEM line for fear of fire. That worries me even though I am pretty sure it will be OK. Thanks for the help. Going to see what I can do today for clearance. Thanks. Jim

No offense to anyone's ideas, but most of these are band-aids at best. In the pic it looks like there is all kinds of room there. If you want to "do things right even if takes extra time", then do it right and reroute the line. No more worries...

Latest posts

Back