Custom Mopar ????

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok gang..
My car buddy claims you can get an engine without a carb to fire by pouring some gas down the intake manifold. In all my years I have never seen this done.
Is this legit ir just more bad info fro who knows where.
Thanks in advance for the responses.
Torchie

I've heard the same stories, Torchie, and been in the position to try it once in a while, but never did. So, ---- I'm no smarter than the coffee-shop hotrodders that keep spewing this rumour. This whole thing means, ------ we hang around the coffee shop too much, Torchie.

Yes you can get the engine to fire and run without a carb but, keep in mind there is nothing to keep it regulated and it can rev too high and damage itself.
If you try it be conservative with how much gas you dump in it.
[P[P[P

Yes you can get the engine to fire and run without a carb but, keep in mind there is nothing to keep it regulated and it can rev too high and damage itself.
If you try it be conservative with how much gas you dump in it.
[P[P[P
Just an additional thought on gas delivery. It might work better to use a spray bottle or the like to help atomize the fuel on the way in.

I believe the first carb was a gas soaked rag that dripped into an intake passage.
Sounds like my speed, Bob. And frankly may be better the the old quadrajet that was sitting in the car.
I’ve got a carb but it needs a riser to fit and not hit a vacuum canister
I don’t really want to spend any money on this engine at this point
I would just like to know that it would fire
Would a spray of starting fluid be better then gas?
Torchie

Last edited:
I’d use starting fluid myself. It will burn out quicker so no problems over revving it or not being able to shut it down. And it won’t spray back all over you if it backfires, one quick fireball and it’s gone where gas may go everywhere before it ignites:eek:.

Had a buddy go to another guys shop to get something. Whatever he was getting was blocked in by his race car. Key was in it, so he jumped in and cranked it, backed it up, got what he went for and left. When he carried it back later that day, his buddy was home. His buddy wanted to know how he moved his race car, he told him. He then carried him over to the work bench, there sat the carb! Looked under the hood, the gas line was stuck down in the intake! He said he wondered why he couldn’t get it to idle down!

I’d use starting fluid myself. It will burn out quicker so no problems over revving it or not being able to shut it down. And it won’t spray back all over you if it backfires, one quick fireball and it’s gone where gas may go everywhere before it ignites:eek:.

Had a buddy go to another guys shop to get something. Whatever he was getting was blocked in by his race car. Key was in it, so he jumped in and cranked it, backed it up, got what he went for and left. When he carried it back later that day, his buddy was home. His buddy wanted to know how he moved his race car, he told him. He then carried him over to the work bench, there sat the carb! Looked under the hood, the gas line was stuck down in the intake! He said he wondered why he couldn’t get it to idle down!
Ok.
So i guess it's true.:eek:
It's not that I doubt my buddies word. It's just that sometimes I doubt everybodies word.......:eek: :p [ddd :D
I will most likely go with the starter fluid.
I will post my results.
Torchie

Last week I was face down on a cement sidewalk(Accidentally. :eek:) and this week I'm down in the dirt.(On purpose. :D)
From the looks of the trans pan I would say that it's not a TH 350 as I was told. Not really a surprise. I think the PO told me that in good faith as that was what he was told.
It looks like a TH 700R4 to me. I couldn't reach under far enough to count the bolts but that's the general shape of the pan.
I will get a definative answer on Saturday when my friend comes over.
That's it for now. Going to be another hot one here so staying cool is the word of the day..
Torchie

Attachments

• 2-10.jpg
    2-10.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 2-11.jpg
    2-11.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 20
  • 2-9.jpg
    2-9.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 454f8aa6f9f53919ad60d1383e1514ba.gif
    454f8aa6f9f53919ad60d1383e1514ba.gif
    66.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 2-5.jpg
    2-5.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 2-6.jpg
    2-6.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 2-7.jpg
    2-7.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 22
I prefer a 700 myself as long as it's a mid 80's up [cl:cool:

That could be a good thing :p
I hear ya about keeping cool. [cl

Indeed. I had the 700 R4 in my 50 GMC panel truck and it was a great trans. What ever it is, it is a transplant for sure as the shift indicator is for a TH 350. D-2-1.
I'm sure you are lot hotter then we are soltz. Stay :cool: :cool:
I also picked up the top post to side terminal battery adapters because I only have top post batteries lying around.
So maybe tomorrow we will try for ignition.....:eek: [ddd :D
Torchie

Looks like a 700 so far. If you get it running, don't forget the TV cable!

put the carb back on it and see what happens. It looks like it has a quadrajet carb that is sitting in a box in the front seat.

What happened to this plan? If the Q-jet fits the manifold, bolt it on and fire it...

Looks like a 700 so far. If you get it running, don't forget the TV cable!

What happened to this plan? If the Q-jet fits the manifold, bolt it on and fire it...

That's the rub, Doc.
I went to mount the Q-jet and it has clearance issues that won't allow it ti line up.
A vac canister([S) on the carb hit a vac canister on the intake.
I have no idea if this is even the OG carb as it was just something that came with it.
A riser may let everything clear, but at this point I'm not really into spending anything on it yet.
I used to have a few risers laying around, but much like my mind I can't seem to find them.:eek:
No worries on the TV cable if I put the carb on it will go on as well. But there will be no shifting as this baby doesn't have any brakes.
I may mess with it some more tomorrow as Friday is supposed to be in the high 90's.
I went to go into town for my exercising today but only got about half way to the car.. Didn't feel so good.
I checked my BP and it was 104/48. A little low.:eek:
Torchie

We appreciate all the inspiration and the updates you give us Torchie, but you'd best slow down just a bit in this heat! And what the heck is with laying down on the sidewalk? We need you around to keep the rest of us in line! Take it easy and like you told me - STAY HYDRATED!

We appreciate all the inspiration and the updates you give us Torchie, but you'd best slow down just a bit in this heat! And what the heck is with laying down on the sidewalk? We need you around to keep the rest of us in line! Take it easy and like you told me - STAY HYDRATED!

The sidewalk, Bill.:eek:
And I'm staying hydrated. Just ask my toilet.or my back yard as the case may pee,,er be.[ddd
I am attempting to get some sort of hearing aids, but as the ones most helpful cost $4000 that ain't happening.:eek:
Being on medicare, they don't cover hearing aids either......but they do cover prosthetics. and implants such as my leg or my pacemaker.
So I was on my way into the only ENT Dr in my area that does whats known as BAHA's(Google it) and since I'm deaf I didn't hear the curb ,tripped on it and face planted on a cement sidewalk. I"m mostly ok as I know how to fall, plus I had a later appt. with my primary care so he checked me over good and recommended some PT to help strengthen my real leg.
I really only have one rule anymore. Well two... Wake up each day alive and don't fall. If I have to break one of the the two, I opt for the second one.[ddd :p :D
Keep on keeping on...
Torchie

Torchie , grab a piece of scrap lumber and make you a riser for the carb. Saw and a drill are all you need. Doesn’t have to be pretty, just good enough to do what you need to do.

Torchie , grab a piece of scrap lumber and make you a riser for the carb. Saw and a drill are all you need. Doesn’t have to be pretty, just good enough to do what you need to do.

Never thought of that Bama. I might have a spare piece of mahogany laying around.[ddd
Thanks for the tip. :cool: [cl :D
That may be tomorrows project ,inside in the shade.
Torchie

Latest posts

Back