What does everyone use for a gas tank?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

36Binder

I'm trying to figure out what to use for Stumpy. It is going to go under the "Bed Cover". I'm mostly looking for a fuel cell/tank I can hook a gauge to. Also looking in the 20 Gallon range. I have a Caddy 500 so will probably need lots of fuel. I also want to fill it through the bed cover, so it has to have provisions to hook a remote fill tube to. I know, not very needy am I?

I looked in the Fuel Systems forum and didn't see much traffic there. So if anyone has pics of their hidden tank and install can you post them?

I used a Ranger pick-up frame for a donor in my '36 Ford, so I just left the Ranger tank in between the frame rails and ran the remote fill out through the side of the box. If you wanted a wee bit bigger tank, what about a full-sized pick-up rear tank? You want to put the tank in the box instead of under it, which will make the electrical wiring a way easier, and the later changing of the fuel pump a way easier. Maybe, browse around a junk yard, looking at the shapes of tanks.
Good luck.

tanksinc.com has a wide selection of tanks, including some universal tanks in various shapes.

They are a good source for tank dimensions to find what might fit your application, even if you don't buy from them.

I was looking at Summit Racing and Amazon this morning before posting this. Tanks Inc. got my attention a few times.

Then a couple of buddies were over and we were discussing the gas tank. On buddy said "don't over think it, I'm sure you got a stock gas tank out in the yard somewhere ". So I went and grabbed this one that was already loose off the back of a square body GMC.

I guess I just needed a gentle push. Then the confirmation of everybody here not worrying too much about it helps.

So in my pics it is mocked up to sit a few inches under the flatbed part of the bed. Do I need the second hose that comes in just below the gas cap? What happens if I just plug it off? I want to use the fuel cap off of my old forklift I scrapped years ago, but saved the fuel tube for an eventual Rat Rod build. I'll have to cut it down so it sits just above the flat bed

I'll also post these pics in my build thread plus a few more from today.

Attachments

• 20210215_220759.jpg
    20210215_220759.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 30
  • 20210215_220813.jpg
    20210215_220813.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 23
  • 20210215_211359.jpg
    20210215_211359.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 25
Just pay attention to cleaning it. I worked a few days trying to clean one up good and on the first start up was a little discouraged when I saw the fuel filter turn red causing more delays and the cost of a "new" tank.

Like Dozer said
It'll have a tendency to puke gas on ya too.
Just drill a hole in the new tube and put a 90 degree pipe to hose barb fitting in with a rubber hose hooked to it back to the tank.

Just pay attention to cleaning it. I worked a few days trying to clean one up good and on the first start up was a little discouraged when I saw the fuel filter turn red causing more delays and the cost of a "new" tank.
I took the sending unit/pickup combo off and it looks like new inside. I was honestly surprised how clean it looked inside. That reconfirmed my decision to not buy one.

That little extra hose along-side the filler is a vent like Dozer said. When you fill your tank with gas, the air that you are replacing in there will escape wherever it can. If it can't flow nicely through that vent tube it will burp and puke up through the gas you are pouring in. You don't want that.

Interesting discussion on the tanks and venting. I seem to remember before the vacuum purge the vent was just an open tube that went above the tank and looped over, (69 Impala example).

So the original tank in this '53 Chev has places for venting, it seems, but are all blocked off. I am pretty sure this tank was choked off with the 20gph electric fuel pump, so I removed the rubber seal in the cap. All is well, but although the tank is squeaky clean, I think it has issues and may want to try something else.

I had to put a top vent in a buddy's 28 Ford Coupe to keep it from puking back through the fill neck then, install a vent less cap to keep it from sloshing out when driving.

HI Rat Rodders

My current Jalopy hot rod has an old beer keg...I need to get it boiled out before I put it back in the car...

The last rat I built I used a plastic fuel cell from Speedway motors...

MikeC

Latest posts

Back