Model A frame set up question

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfg455

The Hot Rod Cop
I picked up an Essex coupe body and various parts. In with the parts were 2 Model A frames, 1 excellent, 1 rusty. I do plan on a 4" channel (or width of the frame). My qestion is this: when you are setting up a Model A for a more traditional highboy look (IE: not slammed) how much drop is used and where is it dropped? And how much drop is gained with each mod?

3 1/2" at the axle (dropped stock A axle) = self explanitory

I have seen a pie cut at the firewall to bend the frame up (not a fan of the look)

Z the front and back (width of the frame in front. Double in the rear?) = Good to do on an A frame?

I have heard a T spring with 2 leaves out in the rear?

Reversed spring eye in the front?

dropped front spring or raised crossmember?

I understand alot of what I asked is subject to how it is done, personal preferance etc. I also know I could do a spring behind, suicide style, heavy Z front or back, build a whole new frame, heavy / deep channel etc. I guess I am just looking for some pointers on how it used to be done and how the out come was. Thanks in advance.

I like the way this one sits. I was thinking of a slightly smaller rear tire and maybe an inch or two lower in the rear.

Attachments

• a coupe 2.jpg
    a coupe 2.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 33
If you like the way that one sits then you are golden. It's not even channeled, and it works well - a great traditional styled car. Drop axle front (more than likely with a reverse eye spring) and a T spring rear. It's a really clean and historical look, and would be really easy to achieve with what you are working with...

Latest posts

Back