Chevy/Reo?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ReoTunnel023_zps6d9a715e.jpg

Here's the caveman battery box. Made out of angle iron, the way it would have been done in days of yore.

ReoTunnel018_zpsac64a0e8.jpg

Been working on the floor. 3/4" plywood in the flat spots. That's the trans crossmember cutting through it. The driveshaft tunnel is 9" high so it could be a good arm rest.
All the sheet metal is 18 gauge. Since I don't have a sheet metal brake I am using the "cut and weld" approach to the transmission cover. Trying to keep it really tight to the trans to provide some foot room. (I did sneak over to Terry & Lee's, Tator here on RRR, to bend up the driveshaft tunnel.)

The floor is at the bottom of the frame to provide more head room.

I just noticed the trans cover looks wavy or warped. It isn't. No distortion from the tack welds.

Last edited:
ToeBoards015_zpse4409bd4.jpg

Got the toe boards done. Began installing my very last Mustang shifter. Looks like I'll need to have an access panel in the trans hump in order go hook up the shift linkage.

Made a stiffening plate for the firewall where the master cylinder is located.

It doesn't seem like much for a whole day of effort.

"It doesn't seem like much for a whole day of effort."

Gees Bob, I have been thinking just the opposite. Looks like you're smokin' right through this thing. Great progress -great build!

Yeah Bob I'm with DJ, looks like a ton of progress from here! [cl[cl Especially if ya compare it to what I've been getting done. :eek:

I'm itching for another 'step back and look at the whole thing from the side' picture......you ol' teaser you! ;)

HoodSides001_zpse1102826.jpg

Looking at hood side options. Either steel or aluminum. Chock full of louvers. The frame is wide at the front so the hood sides have to be in two pieces. This option has a short bottom piece. The bottom piece could have a curve on the front edge. Or some other type of graceful line.

LongHood001_zps399d1691.jpg

Here it is with a full length bottom piece and a frame cover hear the radiator shell. The cut out for the steering and motor mount would be more stylish that the hack job I did on the poster board.

Opinions and suggestions are appreciated.

Last edited:
Seeing it cut out for the steering makes me wonder what it would look like with just a hood and no sides...

OR, I just had a thought, which is a tough thing to come by when I'm sick, but what about an aero bubble that covers over the steering area and then fades back into the panel?

I like the hood and no sides idea. It has the added bonus of fewer decisions, less work, and the opportunity to still see the engine.

HoodSides009_zps2ddcbcfe.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions. A teardrop bubble over the steering area would be a great addition. I'm hoping the sides will work and look good. The car is quite long in front and I wanted to not break up the lines running without hood sides. Poster board is cheap. I'll keep trying.

Here's a high angle shot.

Last edited:
LongHood002_zpsb6262f34.jpg

The frame is a lot wider than the radiator shell at the front. That, and the bulk of the steering box and motor mount make hood sides a bit of a challenge.

paint ?

try no bottom pc.
and try dippin it down in a arch, at the back of the steering box to match up with cowl bottom...
then the back of frame at firewall will 'flow' into body/cowl..
the lines i am seeing in your paper are just too straight....
the frame has beautiful lines,,,consider leaving exposed and painted a rich brown......or machinery gray...

i really enjoy your build,,,thanks for sharing it

Latest posts

Back