Chevy/Reo?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ReoWindshieldFrame002_zps0bca1da8.jpg

Thanks for the information and ideas regarding upholstery material.

While waiting for mufflers (sorry Flipper, I gots to have 'em) and u-bends I started on the windshield frame. The hard part was cutting out two curved pieces one inch wide using a sawsall. I made two frames like the one you see in the pic. I managed to get both curved strips out of one piece of 1/8" by 4". The curve matches the cowl.

Last edited:
ReoWindshieldFrame004_zps6363000a.jpg

Next step is to weld 1/2" by 1/2" bar stock all the way around one of the frames. It's hard to see in the pic but the top and two sides are attached. I have to put a curve in the bottom piece. Tomorrow.

ReoWindshieldFrame005_zps4dc06313.jpg

See how the bar stock creates a recess for the glass. There's room for the 1/4" thick glass and setting tape on both sides of the glass.

Are you sure that frame will be strong enough? LOL! Nice job. Looks like it will do just fine Bob.[P

WShieldadnMuffler012_zps1af29ba9.jpg

Here's the 20 pound windshield frame all done. Lots of welding and grinding between the front frame and the 1/2" by 1/2" bar stock. Yep, it's heavy enough to double as a roll bar.

WShieldadnMuffler014_zps50de113d.jpg

In this view the 1/2" channel for the glass and setting tape is evident. If you look closely you can see that the rear frame is removable. It is held on with a dozen very short 10-24 flat head screws.

I should have used 3/8"square stock to create the channel leaving room for the glass and 1/6" setting tape on both sides of the glass. Next time...

WShieldadnMuffler008_zps701548cb.jpg

Yes, Sarge, That is a maximum chop on this thing.
I was a bit exhausted from all the grinding on the windshield frame but since some pipe and mufflers arrived I finished one side. The side pipe turns in just beyond the body then turns downstream again.
When the corner of the body is rebuilt and the wheel/tire is on the pipe will disappear a bit.

Leather jackets for cheap donor material at thrift stores too. Real leather for real steel. Someday i want to make a hand tooled leather panel for a dash. Saw one in a deuce coupe at a show many many years ago. Added so much unique character and i have never seen tooled leather used on any other car since.
Some brass touches on this one would give it a cozy feel too Bob.

I'm liking the uniqueness of your exhaust. Well done,I bet it sounds great.
My dad split the manifold on his service truck way back when. I could hear him coming home fifteen minutes before he got there.

Nice windshield frame too.

POPS

ReoTailLight007.jpg

I cut out some plywood for seat backers. After a trial sit, the seats were tilted back by raising the front an additional inch and a half. The bottoms will get about 3" of cushion and the backs about an inch.

ReoTailLight001.jpg

The exhaust system is almost done. A little finish welding and one more hanger is needed.

I have a radiator coming this week. Once the radiator and shell are mounted I'll make hood sides. They are an important component in the total look of the car. Only then will I know if this thing is going to look like I intended.

MoreHood011.jpg

DR, the seats are only 16" wide.
I bought a radiator off eBay and musta went dyslexic. Got one with the outlets exactly opposite to what I needed. I'll use it anyway.
Today I cut 2 1/2" out of the radiator shell to create a little ground clearance. Got the radiator mounted inside the shell And the shell mounted to the frame rails. It'll need a screen or something in front to hide the radiator.
Modified the left side motor mount so it doesn't stick through the hood side panel.
Made a new poster board side panel. It's getting closer to what I want.

Latest posts

Back