Chevy/Reo?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That Bob W does very nice work........yep...he's raising the bar and taxing our abilities to keep up.....lol Very nice [cl

I hear ya there Sgt. Pretty soon it will be the CBCR. The "Coach Built Cruisers Rule" board! :eek:

FrontShockMount007.jpg

Made the front shock mounts. Still have to trim the frame covers so I can weld them in place.
Also trimmed the original spring pads off the axle and made 1" lowering blocks for the front.
You guys stop teasing me about "coach built", "raising the bar", etc. The fit and finish of this build in no way compares to many other build threads here. You skill guys know who you are... I am pretty happy with the lines and proportions of the thing. It is close to what I had in mind. As long as it looks, it is only a 103" wheelbase.

SmallStuff003.jpg

I trimmed the front frame covers to clear the shock mounts and the semi-circular cutouts for axle clearance.
Added a second bearing on the steering shaft, at the firewall. The other bearing is at the dashboard. The little plate slides up and down with the bearing when adjusting steering wheel height and covers the oblong hole that permits the adjustment. It is crooked in the pic but will be straight in final assembly.
I was putting a drop in the tie rod to clear the front crank pulley when I ran out of MIG wire. Waiting for the radiator.

DroppedTieRod002.jpg

Got the dropped tie rod finished. Only drawback to them is setting toe in. The tie rod end must make a full revolution when adjusting.
Trimmed the motor mounts so they don't look so bulky. That required adding some rectangular tubing to the inside of the frame rails.
Thinking one, two or three beads might look good on the frame covers (see tape). Any opinions?

If there is a Photoshop guru out there I'd be interested in seeing a pinstripe border around the frame cover. About an inch or inch and a half in from the edge.

This rod is so damn cool, I think the 2 beads on the frame cover looks just right if they are going to be the size of the tape, If you make them narrower 3 would be good. What wheels and tires are you thinking of running?

DroppedTieRod004.jpg

The radiator arrived complete with chop sticks and sticky rice. It's designed for a chopped '32 Ford shell and fits well in my application. Made mounting brackets for it with it sitting on a rubber pad made from a bed mat. Dropped it off at Tator's to have the bottom outlet messaged to clear the axle.

I used a 3M paint stripper wheel and some phosphoric Prep & Etch and removed some rust from the body. Thinking of running it in bare metal the first year. I've heard Evaporust works very well so I'll try that. Will have the inside of the cab sand blasted but I don't want the sandblasted look on the exterior.

A while back I got a set of 16" Dodge artillery wheels. Hoping to use those. They're narrow so I'm not sure if I can get a 30" or 31" tire on them for the rear. The car needs tall rear tires to attain a rubber rake as I didn't build enough rake into the chassis.

Tires

Hey Bob. Look at an 85 series tire. That's what I plan to run on Buford. I have measured a 235 85R16. It is 31" tall. You might want a skinnier tire. They come in a lot of widths. I just think I need a wide tire for the front on Buford...big, big truck, you know. But....check em out.....might be what you're looking for.:D

Lynn

I think they make a 215/85R16 as well. Or you might have to call ole coker [P

TRC3014.jpg

Is there a RRR member that could cut the REO letters as shown in the pic with waterjet, laser, plasma or whatever? Probably 14 ga. steel.

This is a cash job, not looking for charity.

Thanks for the tire information guys. I would like to avoid Coker on this project. Have bought lots of tires from them and have had no problems. Just don't want to spend that much this time. Unfortunately, I think this thing needs bias tires.

I agree two beads on the frame covers is good. I'll have to see if Terry & Lee will fire up the Pullmax.

Terry did a great job changing the bottom outlet on the radiator. Unfortunately it didn't buy me enough room so I had to move the axle rearward an inch. That of course means other finished items needed to be changed. So I've been in "rework" mode today.

tires

Bob, I understand about the tire price. The 85 series tire is available thru many manufacturers. You can get them thru a local dealer. You dont have to go to Coker. Just clarifying....

Lynn

I found a better image of the REO logo:

attachment.php

And started the first step of converting it to vector format (for plasma/laser cutting):

attachment.php

Question, how big to you plan to make this thing? Essentially, how perfect does the art need to be?

I will spend some more time working on this tomorrow night unless someone can find a vector version of the logo that already exists.

Attachments

• logo-outside.png
    logo-outside.png
    14.4 KB · Views: 133
  • reo_grill_emblem_09.jpg
    reo_grill_emblem_09.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 133
Is there a RRR member that could cut the REO letters as shown in the pic with waterjet, laser, plasma or whatever? Probably 14 ga. steel.

I can do it easy for you, but you may want to try and find someone closer first LOL...

Bob, I can cut it with a CNC plasma. If the other member can turn it into a .DXF file then it would be a breeze. I think I have a left over chunk of 1/8" (11 ga) that will cover it depending on the size. i would only hit you up for shipping as the material is already paid for and the other member did the hard work of converting it to .DXF :D

Bob. Just let me know what size over all EG: 10" square, 12" square etc. It only took me about 12 minutes to convert Sunnybeach's picture to .DXF

Latest posts

Back