Chevy/Reo?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know how you did it with what you started with but, You have built what I can only describe as a "ELEGANT HOT ROD" What ever the he!! that is. It's GREAT that's what it is! Only MHO But I would like to see this great rod with a paint finish on it.

Yup, You hit it right on the head with this one! side view really brings it all together. Sweating the details like spare tire placement, hood sides and trunk height all paid off huge. Nice work Bob![;)

The ice and snow finally melted off my "pile 'o crap" and I found a rear wheel that worked for this mock up. Missing are headlights and the exhaust side pipes. Also, these are not the wheels that will be used. Other than that, this is pretty much the way this thing will look. I have a unique plan for the roof and have yet to decide on how to finish all the sheet metal.
Some statistics: Wheelbase - 103", Overall length - 12', Height - an inch under 4 feet. Rear wheel - 29 1/2", Front wheel - 27"

Thanks for the gauge ideas, skull. A couple of my breakfast buddies are on the way to the Pate swap meet in Texas. They'll be shopping for me. I've got a 1930 Chevy truck cowl with decent gauges that I could use. Problem is I have plans for that cowl ...

Wow Bob, I knew I was liking this build from the start but it is even sweeter than I imagined! Awesome vision and execution! [cl[cl:cool:
BTW, is there something you need to tell us? :rolleyes:

I didn't want to do it but...

I had to make a hole in the hood. It wasn't gonna run very good without a carbonraper.

My RRR friends, I am humbled by the comments you all have made about this project. I am most appreciative.

Regarding the plans for the '30 Chevy cowl.....GOW JOB!

Regarding the plans for the '30 Chevy cowl.....GOW JOB!

[cl gow job (GOW) n. Early (generally pre-World War II era) expression for what would later become known as a HOT ROD, namely a vehicle extensively modified in a “home-built” manner to provide improved performance. Term possibly derived from the expression to GOW OUT, or may be a permutation of “go-job.”

- The Ultimate Hot Rod Dictionary – A-Bombs to Zoomies, Jeff Breitenstein, 2004, Motorbooks International, MBI Publishing Company, Galtier Plaza, Suite 200, 380 Jackson Street, St. Paul, MN 55101-3885, USA, ISBN 0-7603-1823-9

Umm, um.........I can't wait! [dr

BTW I Love the hole in the hood. :cool:

The plan was (is?) to leave the body on the frame, make it a roller, and trailer it to Jerry the Sandblaster. He would blast the body & I would take the body off afterward to finish all the work on the frame. So, as you can see, I took it all apart.
Before I did, I was curious abut the condition of the engine so I ran a compression check. All cylinders between 30 and 65 psi. Not good. The engine sat for a long time and Todd (a member on RRR) didn't know the condition when he bought it and when he sold it to me. I paid core price for it so I got a good deal regardless. Not wanting to take the chance of installing it as is and hoping it would cure itself, I took it all apart. I like doing that anyway. There was a lot of loose carbon/grit on top of the pistons. I suspect there was carbon particles preventing the valves from sealing when I did the compression check. The whole lower end is perfect. Pistons, rings and cylinder walls very good too. The guides are a little loose. Might not be able to do a valve job without doing the guides. I can buy a never used, rebuilt 194 head for a couple hun.

Using a caliper, it appears some cam lobes have flattened about .020. Need to get some V-blocks to really check it. There's a divot in one tooth on the cam gear where it must have passed a kidney stone or something.

Even though it snowed yesterday and today (about 18" 50 miles south of here) summer will arrive soon. I'm thinking of packing everything away til fall and doing minor improvements on some of the other rolling stock.

Spent the morning putting all the loose parts for the Reo and the engine away. Still can't decide if I want to keep working on it or put it away til fall.

Anyway, in June we are having our first Billetproof show a mile from my house. I volunteered to make the trophy for best suede or primer. I had a brass table lamp and it was used for the base and the little "cup" under the car. One foot of the base was missing so I substituted an Allen bolt. Kind of a hot rod fix, eh? Then I primered a Hot Wheels sedan delivery. The circle with the information is one of several attempts. It will be aluminum and professionally lettered in its final form.

Latest posts

Back