Chevy/Reo?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
E-man, I agree. I'm just not very artistic. Tried a simple rectangle first, then the funny flames.
Been trying to come up with a car part shape that would work for a back card.

I did wrap the can with a paper label with the info on it but the writing was all so small.

Headlight bucket for a base. Lots of room for lettering. BlueNorther, good idea. If I abandon the headlight bucket-base I'll use your idea.

Back to the Reo. I put those prong-nuts in the plywood top every 6" so it will bolt to the body. When the vinyl is on the roof it will hide the nuts.

Here's the 1931 Essex headlights and bar I got at French Lake Auto Parts last Friday. They're just sittin' there but it looks close to their final resting place.

I got the top material from a friend. It is the long grain vinyl used on Model A's. So it is from the right time period. Might work on that next even though that doesn't make sense. Awfully curious how it will look.

Last edited:

A little different view. These lights, along with many others have been stored indoors and are in excellent condition. No rust or dents and the lenses are perfect with an ornate flute design.

I haven't opened them up but it looks like the reflectors are usable as is. No need to resilver them.

Last edited:

Sam, we're on the same wavelength. I trimmed the crossbar and welded plates and studs to the underside of the bar. The studs fit through holes in the top of the frame.

The plate bracket will be removed and possibly used for a front license plate (if required) mounted close to the tubular front crossmember.

Here's the trophy in its final form. Now it's off to Weeksenddesigns for lettering.

I picked up a roll of 1/8" thick foam for the roof of the REO. Will give that a try tomorrow.

Here's a close up of the top. The trophy is supposed to signify the "king" of the suede/primer hot rods at the show.
Coming up with a trophy design hurt my head. Not going to try any arty projects again.

Planning Ahead

This 1961? Land Rover will be coming home with me Sunday, unless we get rained out (rain date, next Sunday). It is quite small with a 88" wheelbase, shorter than my Anglia.
Automatically, I planned to put a small block Chevy in it. Now, with gas prices climbing through the roof I'm considering gas saving options.
Looking for ideas on a good performing engine that will provide great gas mileage.

rover

my landrover was aluminum bodied, and i used a early 80's ford 2.3 four banger w/carb. 24mpg w/stk. axle. if chevy i would consider a 4.3 v6 w/3.08 s10 axle for 20mpg.
your rod build is great bob,,,hope its a keeper........................

Latest posts

Back