Chevy/Reo?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Reo project is not entirely stalled. Got the front and rear axle and suspension in place for the final time. Looks like the body has to go on next. Can't wait til fall so it will go to the sand blaster soon.

Picked up a 283 for the Rover. It'll get rebuilt. I want about 200 HP so it will get around okay but not be too thirsty. Also got a Mustang II cross member for $20.00.

Pushing both projects along little by little.

Bob, when do you start making provisions for the wiring and plumbing? I usually get the frame to the point you are and then screw up most of it by drilling and tapping holes and finding I need to weld on brackets and stuff. What do you do?

I've been wracking my small but active brain trying to figure out what finish to put on the Reo. Now, it's your opportunity to suggest what I should do. Primer? Rust? Flat Paint? Shiny? I have a friend that can accelerate the rusting process and he claims he can make the new metal on the Reo look old. So many options, What to do?
For sure, the roof and the area above the doors and around the back, above the belt line will be covered with a fabric. It will be black.

DJ3100, I ran the brake lines and the fuel line. Drilled and tapped holes for the clamps. Also welded some studs here and there for clamps. Normally I would have run the wiring too but this car is so simple there is a minimum of it. I did drill and tap and weld studs along where I intend to run the wiring. I do all of that with most of the components on the car. If there is a need for a clamp and I can't drill and tap or weld a stud because of stuff in the way, I mark it and do it after disassembly.

I think it would look good in red oxide primer.

That would provide some protection without looking like you are trying too hard. :rolleyes: Additionally, if you decide on another top coat later it would be ~easy.

Red primer would look good with copper and brass accents.

My $.02

I think it should be a dark green single stage (not as shiney as a base/clear paint) laid over a black base over a red primer base. Semi gloss black for the frame, suspension and rims. Wet sand through parts of the top layers on the "worn" edges. Accent with brass bits here and there. It will look like it was painted 75 years ago.

Have your buddy rust the new metal. Then paint right over the rust and let it age. Don't paint the wheels either or again, paint over the rust and let it age. Run as aggressive tread as you can - at least on the back.

Bob, this thing rocks.

It NEEDS to be painted a dark color (green, blue, maroon...), but it needs to be a finish that looks like old style paint ....more color than shine. Make it look like it is a coachbuilt car from the late 20's

Paint it!

What is YOUR favorite color, Bob? Paint it THAT color....all over. Satin finish. Then a contrasting color for the wheels. Just a suggestion for your consideration. :D

Lynn

Thank you everyone for your excellent suggestions about how to finish the body on the Reo. I am slowly arriving at what I want to do. Your ideas have helped crystallize my decision.
I've been grinding welds and evaluating the dents, irregular contours and areas of misalignment. Soon it will be off to sandblasting.
In the foreground is the frame with the front and rear suspension installed. Not much more can be done til the body goes on.
To the right is the block from the 283 engine I bought for the Land Rover project. It is in very good condition but a little too much cylinder wear means it needs be bored. My good friend has an engine machine shop. He is in failing health and I'm hoping he can do the work on this engine before he has to hang it up.

This Dodge truck (later Mopar flathead 6 and Dakota 5 speed) belongs to my good friend Jon. While this is not the color I'll have, the finish and the level of bodywork shown here is what I am after. Pretty sure I'll have a darker color, probably maroon, green or blue.
I would like it to look like it was painted 50 years ago. Maybe a little primer peeking through.
I took the body to Jerry the Sandblaster this morning. Next week the bodywork begins as this weekend is Back to the 50's. 12,000 cars to look at.

Credit to Flipper as I am going to do what he suggested.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back