Borg Warner T10 info

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

King Herald

Buddy is selling me this tranny, supposed to be a heavy duty unit, anybody have any advice, what to look for, what the weaknesses are. It has a cast iron housing, that apparently is the tougher version??

Being in the third world any spares or parts have to be shipped 10,000 miles if required....

It has no shifter either.

IMG_20160618_104730_zps5vn3dsif.jpg

Looks to be the top left one on this chart. it is going on a Chevy motor, I also need bell-housing and clutch etc.....

http://www.hurst-shifters.com/wp-content/uploads/4-sp-tran-id.pdf

I see a new shifter is going to cost me a few hundred bucks, maybe time to see about crafting something myself.

There is something called a Renagate on the market, just pull or push the lever to shift, like a motorcycle, that would be interesting to see how it works. They keep the internals of the mechanism somewhat secret though........:eek:

i hate to break it to you but the b/w's are not much stronger then the saginaw. everybody had a version. i got a super t10 for a amc at the house and they don't bring much either. if you get it for $100.00 to $150.00 you have a deal but i wouldn't pay much more. muncies go for $200.00 up and are the better choice for a gm, thompson for mopar and top loader for the blue oval. shifters are out of this world and the only v-gates are old stock or used.

i hate to break it to you but the b/w's are not much stronger then the saginaw. everybody had a version. i got a super t10 for a amc at the house and they don't bring much either. if you get it for $100.00 to $150.00 you have a deal but i wouldn't pay much more. muncies go for $200.00 up and are the better choice for a gm, thompson for mopar and top loader for the blue oval. shifters are out of this world and the only v-gates are old stock or used.

Hmm, I keep hearing totally opposing stories about the value and strength.

Really I just want something reliable and strong enough not to break. Parts are hard and/or expensive to find over here. I was offered a complete Saginaw for $450 with clutch, bell-housing, shifter etc.

This T10 has a fixed rear yoke, I jut discovered today, which means I now need some sort of sliding drive shaft, on top of the clutch, bell housing shifter...... :(

Last edited:
They are tough.
I have one in my 33 and one in Peabody's 37
Is the yoke bolted in or does it slip in?

Yes, the yoke is bolted solid. Does that mean much? Apart from the drive shaft problem.....

The serial number stamped in the iron casing behind the side cover is WG2623 which seems to imply it was build in 1976.

Last edited:
Only the drive shaft.
You can take the yoke out and it probably has the splines as normal and you can use the normal slip yoke then.

Considering the alternatives and how hard parts are to come by in your area, I believe you'd be way ahead going with the Saginaw if the bell housing fits your ride and everything is complete.

i take it your not state side, i payed 75.00 for a camaro saginaw 4 speed and shifter last summer. we used to race a 4 speed 55 chevy, we had a stack of sags and b/w trans but there was a couple muncies too.

i take it your not state side, i payed 75.00 for a camaro saginaw 4 speed and shifter last summer. we used to race a 4 speed 55 chevy, we had a stack of sags and b/w trans but there was a couple muncies too.

No, I'm in the Philippines. $75 ?? :eek::eek::eek:

Hmmm........parts here aren't cheap, at all.

I have the T10 now, so not sure what direction to take, maybe grab the worlds most expensive Saginaw as well, use all the parts, have a spare 'box, and build the world most expensive Healey......

Old Iron, I'll take a look at that yoke tomorrow, see if it can be used easily. Not sure what the Saginaw has at the rear end.

I'm assuming the two boxes are interchangeable, as far as the bell housing goes?

Just my two cents, I started with a T10 from a '63 Pontiac 389 upgraded to a Muncie M22, I never had an issue with the T10. GM went back to the T10 in the 70's Corvette and Pontiac had them before the 4+3 or the 5 speeds came out. If your not going to race it, you'll likely have no problem with reliability.

The stationary yoke is no big deal, every pick up with a 4 speed from the first day after enclosed drive lines had them. All 4x4 trucks had them in front from 1954 to 1988 with solid front axle.

Shift linkage is not hard to find on Ebay or to rebuild, if you are willing to both tinker or fabricate brackets. Hurst will rebuild any shifter they made if you have deep pockets. If the Philipines still has drag racing, you will find a Hurst representative that can help. None of it is rare, I find these transmissions in the darnedest places.

Happy Hunting, sometimes that's the best part of this sport.

I decided to use a powerglide after all, as it was cheaper than buying the bell,housing, clutch, flywheel, shifter limeades etc.

But then I found the 'glide I had rebuilt had a 16 spline output, so I eventually had to order a slip yoke from the USA and then it all came more expensive that taking the T10......

You gotta love this hot rod lark. [S

I decided to use a powerglide after all, as it was cheaper than buying the bell,housing, clutch, flywheel, shifter limeades etc.

But then I found the 'glide I had rebuilt had a 16 spline output, so I eventually had to order a slip yoke from the USA and then it all came more expensive that taking the T10......

You gotta love this hot rod lark. [S
[cl:D When ya decide to do sumtim just stay the course :D[cl

Latest posts

Back