ford flathead

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winginit

I friend at work has a 8CM 255 mec flat head he said it ran 20 years ago when he pulled it . it still turns over I have no idea what it would be worth , it is stock has flywheel bellhouseing carb dis air cleaner . I dont know what to offer him , I know it's a pig in a poke .

If the crank isn't too scored up it's worth a little to the right person. Otherwise when it comes to flatheads, if you can't hear it run and ensure it has no cracks - it's scrap price.

Here's a story to boost your confidence a little.
I used a 255 Merc flathead in my '36 Ford. It had not run for 20 or 30 years and was seized until the old fella who sold it to me pried it around and freed it up. I cleaned the outside, painted it, and slid it into my truck. It has taken me through 3 summers, now, but it is getting a little smoky, so I am getting another 255 rebuilt to replace this one. Oh, I did put new points in it, and rebuilt the carb.
They are really good old motors, you should try one.
Good luck.

Attachments

• IMG_0834.jpg
    IMG_0834.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1013.jpg
    IMG_1013.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 18
  • photo (1).jpg
    photo (1).jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 18
Thank's for the reply's , so flatheads are prone to cracking and with out taking it apart its any ones guess . so its worth what 500 to 600 ?? if you cant here it run with water in it, and maybe do a block check 1000 to 1500 ??
Or is it worth more because it has a 4" stroke ? I have no clue , but it would be cool to have in a 29 coupe [dr

$50 without taking it apart, $200 if you pull the heads and intake and don't see cracks. They don't bring much. Over $500, it better have all new parts....

Latest posts

Back