steering wheel questions

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratrodney

hey all.
been tinkering with the 71 caddy and since the fella i bought it from had dropped it down n tinted the windows i thought bout makin a sorta lowride cruiser outta it.
i found a few kool chain wheels but wondered how technical the swap would be?
i found a kool 10-11 inch one and a extended 8 inch one.
would the 8 inch be to hard to drive or since i have power steering would it still be easy?
do i need an adaptor kit and if so what one? heres a few pics of what im lookin at.
any help is appreciated. tnx, RR

Attachments

• th.jpg
    th.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 19
  • chain-steering-wheel.jpg
    chain-steering-wheel.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 21
Thanks a lot for the response.

Did you find the 8 inch one to be hard to use or was it ok?
The kool factor outweighs the turning but only if its not like trying to spin an elephant.

i like the long neck on the smaller ones. maybe put a long spinner knob on it. if the 10 or 11 inch had a longer neck id be in there.

also, do i need a wheel puller and all that or do they come off easier on there own?

Tnx again for the help. RR

i like the longer neck but cant find a 10-11 inch one thats deep like the 8 inch.

Attachments

• 533001.jpg
    533001.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 4
  • th.jpg
    th.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 5
You can get an extender if you want the wheel out further. Search steering wheel adapters eBay. You will find all sorts of stuff.
A puller makes the job a lot easier, especially for an old wheel that has been on the car for decades. Cheap ones are at most every parts house.

Did you find the 8 inch one to be hard to use or was it ok?
The kool factor outweighs the turning but only if its not like trying to spin an elephant.

I had the 8" on my '67 Impala, which was nearly as big as your Caddy. I had no trouble with effort... except for the day I spit the pump belt... that was like spinning an elephant!

I agree with Skip... spend $8 on a puller.

Hijack: Young, stupid, stubborn and determined... my best friend and I pulled the wheel on his '52 pickup. No puller. We fought, pulled, pushed, hammered and jacked on the thing until it came off... under "some" pressure, it crowned my pal properly.

He has a puller now.

I used to pull wheels without a puller. I was taught by an old mechic with a very crooked nose that if you do it that way, leave the nut on by a few threads.

Make sure you get some gloves too. I bet that chain will take some hide off the first time it slips through your fingers.....:eek::D

Latest posts

Back