In need of helping pick tire size

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thisguy65

I keep going back and forth on tire size to get the right portions.

Full cab Ford F1
Slam to the ground on air bags
With a cummins motor
Ford 9"
Bed I will build.

30" tall tire is min and easy to get.

However this is not the look I'm going for. Notice how the bed is so tall and the rear tires don't even make it close to the "mid window." The portions are off to me at least.
XkWqWMx.jpg

This is what I'm after, minus chopping, although I may chop it later.

GbuugM5.jpg

72JkD6m.jpg

^those are 36" tall tires. I'm thinking about the same thing but in a 17-18" rear rim with a smaller rim up front. Front rim will have 1" smaller diameter to that of the rear. The fronts will be a 225-255 wide.
I found these for on the cheap.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...5QR6G072&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

These are 34.5" but are more of a winter tire. Would like something all season.
Help?

Last edited:
The bed on the first truck too tall and too low on the second truck. Maybe some 255x85x16 or 9.00x16. Both of those will run around 33.5-34" tall and not too wide. Or more old would be some 7.50x20s

edit, on looking again, everything about the bed on the brown truck is wrong. It's too tall, top should be just a tad below the truck beltline and it should have some bed showing behind the tire. The whole truck just looks out of whack with that bed on it. The black truck has a good fore/aft balance on the bed, just needs the top closer to the cab beltline.

I'm not seeing any pictures. ??? Guess I'm running short on patience this morning. They were just slow to load.

Personally, I am not a fan of "rear tires" on the front of vehicles that are not a 4x4s. But that's just me. It seems popular these days. It will be interesting to see what I end up doing with my open wheeled build. (starting soon)

I agree that the bed on the brown truck is not doing it, and the black one is more pleasing to my eye.

Last edited:
The bed on the first truck too tall and too low on the second truck. Maybe some 255x85x16 or 9.00x16. Both of those will run around 33.5-34" tall and not too wide. Or more old would be some 7.50x20s

edit, on looking again, everything about the bed on the brown truck is wrong. It's too tall, top should be just a tad below the truck beltline and it should have some bed showing behind the tire. The whole truck just looks out of whack with that bed on it. The black truck has a good fore/aft balance on the bed, just needs the top closer to the cab beltline.

I'll need the rear for the 600+ ft/lbs . At least a 275. Luckly the bed I'm making from scratch and will probably be the last thing I do make but should be pretty simple.

I'm not seeing any pictures. ??? Guess I'm running short on patience this morning. They were just slow to load.

Personally, I am not a fan of "rear tires" on the front of vehicles that are not a 4x4s. But that's just me. It seems popular these days. It will be interesting to see what I end up doing with my open wheeled build. (starting soon)

I agree that the bed on the brown truck is not doing it, and the black one is more pleasing to my eye.

The front will not have truck or the same size tires as the rear.

Latest posts

Back