How To Do Cowl Steering

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

51Cards

What box's are used? what columns? Mounting techniques?.... etc. I really want to do this to my 53 Project and could use some tips.

the most popular steering boxes are corvair/vega reversed, F1 reversed, and sprint car steering boxs. Ive seen people use mopar and jag steering boxed also. Im using one out of an early jeep mated to ford column.

Early Ford Ranger, but it needs to be reversed. Mid-60's through late 70's Mopar aluminum boxes work well and do not need to be reversed. Use Google and enter mopar cowl steering. It will take you to a couple tech threads.

BMW model 2002 from the '70's is a pretty good one to use. Easy to mount and the arm is easy to modify.

Don

danscowlsteering5.jpg

danscowlsteering4.jpg

I saw a good thread on the Mopar one a few days ago.
I used one from a Chevy Asstrovan so I could have power steering. It has turned into a huge pita and I wish I'd never gone that way. I finally got it sorted out but I ended up making a chain drive drop and a second pitman shaft/arm to get the pitman down where I could have a decent drag link angle and proper length pitman arm/ratio.

I saw a good thread on the Mopar one a few days ago.
I used one from a Chevy Asstrovan so I could have power steering. It has turned into a huge pita and I wish I'd never gone that way. I finally got it sorted out but I ended up making a chain drive drop and a second pitman shaft/arm to get the pitman down where I could have a decent drag link angle and proper length pitman arm/ratio.

what was the problem you had? Seems like power steering would be easy. I think the rotation of an early Toyota 4x4 box is correct(if i remember correctly). And you could even cut off and re-use the ball and socket end off of the pitman and draglink...
But why complicate things w/ PS I guess.:D

The early Toy box is the 1st one in this pic.
0803_4wd_14_z+toyota_4runner+three_different_steering_gears.jpg

ok loser, i have an import junkyard nearby. what year toyota? 79-83? 84-88? and was it a p/s box?

Any solid front axle 4x4 Toyota(Not IFS). That means like 79 to early 85--then they went to IFS and you would have a box like the other ones in that pic.

4x4 guys toss those boxes in the trash. Ive tossed a few. The IFS boxes are desireable to them when swapping to "crossover steering". I bet I could get them for next to nothing in the for sale section on Pirate4x4.com or a local 4x4 board.
Hell, grab the pump, bracket, and reservoir too, if you find one!

I used a 70's dodge dart box for mine.It is aluminum, it is the correct rotation already. I extended the shaft 8" and made a new arm. It seems to work fine.

im using the steering box and column out of a '57 Jeep CJ3B. All early flatfender and CJ jeeps use the same box. They do not need to be reversed, just flopped upside down. Shorten the column, and lengthen the shaft out the side. Done!

Here's how I installed an early Saginaw box in my 33. Cut the shaft and welded on another so that I could use a ford steering wheel. Cut the end of the pitman arm off, turned it down to fit in a piece of pipe, and welded her all together. Been running it for 2 years now and no issue with the way it's mounted.

Latest posts

Back