Bamamav's 1947 Lincoln Club Coupe build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know what you mean. It's been over a 100 degrees here for the last few weeks. It's been killing. Got in the garage today but i was soaking wet all day. Looking good. Keep plugging away.

Holy cow that's a tight space to fit all those parts in[;)

You got that right! And there's still more to go in, AC condenser, exhaust manifolds, power steering lines, etc. The bay is long, but narrow. It will be quite full when everything gets put in place. I could set the radiator back toward the engine some, but then you get into fan clearance problems with the hoses. What really makes it tough is that the front end is one welded piece except for the fenders and grill.

You got that right! And there's still more to go in, AC condenser, exhaust manifolds, power steering lines, etc. The bay is long, but narrow. It will be quite full when everything gets put in place. I could set the radiator back toward the engine some, but then you get into fan clearance problems with the hoses. What really makes it tough is that the front end is one welded piece except for the fenders and grill.
Wow. That is crazy... I had to go back and look at the pictures to believe it.

Is there any chance that the inner fender panels could be altered a bit to gain some side room? Not a small task, I realize, but something to think about.

Its looking good!

How's your back, Bam? (Mine is, uhhh... not good.) Seems to me, you'll be hunched, contorted and generally uncomfortable working on a fat fendered car. (Just talking about it makes me hurt.)

I don't get along with hot and humid, either... just my way to say, good job and good luck moving forward!

Dr. C, the good thing about a fat fender is you have room to sit and lay down too! You ought to have seen me getting into the engine bay when I was cleaning it and putting in the steering and the motor mount crossmember, I looked like a monkey crawling up over those big fenders!

Actually it has a lot of room, you just have to plan ahead where stuff will go

Another small item off the checklist

Finally got a little more time on the Linc. I don't see how you guys with little ones do it, Grandson takes up so much of my time I can't seem to get anything done. Got my upper grills out, and made the brackets to hold the radiator. Should be strong enough, it doesn't move any. Going to go ahead and take out the lower grill and take the bumper off, got to repaint them anyhow, so might as well get them off now. Made the decision it's probably not going out this season, so I'm gonna go ahead and paint it before it goes out in public again.

Here's my reconditioned water neck

DSCF0829 by Bobby Atkins, on Flickr

Radiator from the front

DSCF0824 by Bobby Atkins, on Flickr

From the back side

DSCF0825 by Bobby Atkins, on Flickr

Side view

DSCF0828 by Bobby Atkins, on Flickr

I'm planning on a cover over the top, to about where the fan sits, that will be hinged for filler and hose access.

Would you trust this fan? Or replace the plastic blades? I reversed it for more hose clearance, may turn it back around after I get the water neck and hose installed.

DSCF0827 by Bobby Atkins, on Flickr
DSCF0826 by Bobby Atkins, on Flickr

That's it for this weekend kiddos, have more when I can steal away from watching the youngin!

Would you trust this fan? Or replace the plastic blades? I reversed it for more hose clearance, may turn it back around after I get the water neck and hose installed.

I wouldn't run that fan for a second... not one second!

You can't reverse the fan, either. It''ll blow (opposed to suck) unless you reverse rotation.

As much work as you've done, I'd not trust it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
With the blades turned around backwards will it still pull the same amount of air???

Your thoughts are the same as mine on the fan, I was already planning on replacing it, just wanted to run it by ya'll to see if everybody agreed with me! :D[ddd I've got a good original one on a wrecked Ranger I've got to pull if I can find my pipe wrench, I hate the stupid threaded on fan clutches. If not, a new one is only about $35.

And to those that asked, doesn't matter which way you turn the blades, they still pull the air the same way, the vanes still point the same direction. What does matter though is the water pump rotation is the same as the fan blades, this is a reverse rotation pump and fan, so both turn clockwise from the front. A standard fan would blow on a reverse rotation pump.

I'm sorry, Bam, but you're wrong. :(

Think like a boat propeller. It can only provide forward thrust in the correct rotation and orientation. If you flip the prop 180° and spin it the same rotation, it will provide reverse thrust.

I also hate those threaded fans! After the last couple (cursing and swearing) swaps, I quit fighting with a pipe wrench and made myself a long flat wrench. Easy now!

Think like a boat propeller. It can only provide forward thrust in the correct rotation and orientation. If you flip the prop 180° and spin it the same rotation, it will provide reverse thrust.

I also hate those threaded fans! After the last couple (cursing and swearing) swaps, I quit fighting with a pipe wrench and made myself a long flat wrench. Easy now!

As I am not familiar with the installation, I can only guess at the wrench you made. Please give is a picture of it, if you don't mind.

I respectfully disagree Doc. Look at the pics below \/ , the black fan is a standard rotation , the white is reverse rotation. One pic shows them oriented properly, the other is reversed. Note the difference of the pitch angle of the blades. I was wrong when I said the fan and crank both turn clockwise, they do on a standard rotation, but on a reverse rotation the fan turns counter clockwise looking from the front. So, the white fan will pull air no matter which way it faces as long as it turns counter clockwise. Same with the black fan, it must turn clockwise, but since the blades on it aren't centered it won't be as efficient. The white blades are centered on it's hub, just the steel mounting pad is offset. Only thing I see is the very tips of the white fan are tilted up to bite better, reversed the air would slip off the end of the blades a bit and not pull as much through, but the center would remain unchanged.

DSCF0831 by Bobby Atkins, on Flickr
DSCF0832 by Bobby Atkins, on Flickr

And as to boat props, I've seen some that are reversible. As long as the blades are pitched the same direction and the rotation stays the same, you get the same result.

Latest posts

Back