Bamamav's 1947 Lincoln Club Coupe build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a weber 2bbl on an old BMW that had an air leak at the base, ran about like you are describing. a little blue shmutz on the base gasket fixed it, then I drove it to a local show and the primary stopped primarying, only had secondary which was fun trying to navigate while at almost full throttle. there was a mosquito wing in the jet!

New carb, new gasket, but I’m still going to check it. Wife said it smells like it’s flooding, choke is full off, no black smoke, so I think she was just smelling old gas. I drained tank almost empty then added 2 gallons fresh gas. Old gas has Stabil in it, has ran good in the mower all summer.

I never did the update on this, did I? Turned out I had the wrong coil, I was using a points coil and needed an HEI one. Once I changed that, it ran great, just leaked coolant at the front of the passenger side head and at the rear of the drivers side one, I think the original steel Ford gaskets are rusted out.

Big thing though was the transmission, it ended up having reverse but no forward gears. :mad: After some discussion with a trans shop, I decided it had to all come back out so I can get the trans rebuilt. Finally got around to pulling it last weekend, now just waiting a few days until this covid-19 shutdown crap is over with so I can see how freight moves. Right now, it's fair, but could stop any day....

Anyway, here's how she's sitting right now. Got to order a set of gaskets and pull the heads. Then once I get the trans back slap it all together again. Keep tuned for more!

Attachments

• DSCF1353.jpg
    DSCF1353.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 32
Can't believe I haven't touched this thing since April.:(:(:(
Still haven't taken the trans to the shop. Got the money, but been sitting on it in case work gets scarce. Don't guess there's any hurry, everything around here has been cancelled anyway. No shows, no festivals, no cruise in's.:(:(:(
Got my head gasket set, but haven't done that yet either. Just been so much other stuff in the way keeping up the lawn mowers and tractors plus using them, and the glass breakage headache with the Firebird didn't help any, either.

7 months, the truck will be paid off, and I'll be eligible to start drawing SS if I want to. I probably will. I figure I can still work 3 days a week and draw and not get over the limit. Maybe then I'll have some time to do things around here!

7 months, the truck will be paid off, and I'll be eligible to start drawing SS if I want to. I probably will. I figure I can still work 3 days a week and draw and not get over the limit. Maybe then I'll have some time to do things around here!
Congrats on paying off the truck. [cl
At 66, you can work all you want without penalty from SS. (in case you didn't already know) That's when I started mine.

Seems like once a month is all I get to work on this thing. Got the heads off yesterday, was pleasantly surprised to find absolutely no ring groove at the top of the cylinders! I think it has been built not long ago, while the intake had FORD gaskets on it, the head gaskets were FelPro. The core plugs in the heads were rotten, I replaced them with Melling copper plugs. Took several pics, but something is wrong with my camera, the computers won't recognize it anymore. And since I don't have a card reader on either computer, I can't get the pics off the card. Always something!

And it was a good thing I sat on that money so long. Last truck shop bill was nearly $11,000, so that wiped out that. Now, I gotta keep going and get saved up again, that is if the economy doesn't tank after the first of the year, which I look for it to do. :mad::mad::mad: If it does, I don't know if I'll ever drive this thing again or not.....

I'm happy for the good news and sad for the bad. :(

For your camera, maybe search the model for a driver, updated driver or patch.

DrC, I downloaded the program from Fuji that is supposed to take the pics off the camera, and I can’t even get that to open! I’m not sure what is going on with it. It worked fine on Halloween when I took a few shots of the grandson in his costume , they loaded on the computer just fine. Now, you connect it via usb, it does the “ dubbly dip “ sound it has always made, but the computers don’t recognize it, I tried it on two different machines. Gonna have to play with it some more when I get time.....

Technology loves to do things behind our backs, and vendors often fail to keep up. I've had fairly good luck searching the issue of the day...

If you are using a Windows based computer, it most likely had an update that broke the app foe the camera.
Do you have a SD slot on the computer or printer so you can take the SD card out of the camera and insert it into the SD slot?
SD to USB adapter on dabay

s-l640.jpg

Old Iron, you may be onto something. This weekend when I got online, I had to log into everything again, so I bet there was an update sometime last week. That thought had occurred to me, but with my sometimes scattered gray matter, I forgot it as quickly as I thought of it!

I like the looks of that SD card to USB adapter, I’ll have to order me one of those. My old computer had a built in card reader, I thought about trying to put in this computer, but haven’t tried it yet.

I’ll have to see if I can find the system restore and take it back to before last week to see if that corrects it. That’s one thing I hate about Win10, it’s so hard to find anything.:mad:

Looks like I'm back to normal! Had to find an older edition of my camera software, don't know what happened to the one that was on here before. It just completely disappeared. Damn Microsoft!:rolleyes:

Anyways, a few pics. You can see the cylinders are perfect, very little wear. Little smutty, but I figure that was from it running on the bad coil, should clear out now.

Attachments

• DSCF1379.jpg
    DSCF1379.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCF1375.jpg
    DSCF1375.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCF1376.jpg
    DSCF1376.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCF1383.jpg
    DSCF1383.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 21
Talked to my transmission guy yesterday, said he finally got the parts in to build my transmission. I hope so! Only been a month.:( Maybe I can get it pretty soon and get started putting the old girl back together!

Latest posts

Back