New carport build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ours is 6, with the energy of two 6 year olds, stubborn as a mule, listens as good as a brick wall, and the concentration of a ****s ant. When he's doing something he likes, you can't get his attention for nothing. Very rebellious when he doesn't want to do something you've told him to do. Very hard to take him anywhere. Two years ago we went to Mayfest in Guin, as we were walking up to register he got mad about something and picked up a rock and slung it into a Mustang's door, chipping the paint. Cost me $150 to get the guys door fixed. Needless to say, she carried him home and he hasn't been to anymore car shows....

i understand, i went through that with mine. he did learn what a trip to the bathroom was all about and never wanted it again. had to remind him a couple times but never had to spank him again. i'm not gonna say he didn't need it again but it didn't have to happen.

First: I'm glad your project is coming along... slow, but sure! [cl

Second: I can't help but notice how little slope you have. You're fortunate (in my opinion) you don't have to deal with "snow load". (Up here, the widely accepted/safe pitch is 4/12.) Just saying, I'm glad you don't need a heavy slope, because a 4/12 pitch would cut your new posts in half and completely defeat the purpose!

Third: What's the deal with your grandson? Does he have a condition of some sort, or does he need a few trips to the wood shed? If the boy's autistic or something of that nature, I understand... if he doesn't, whip off your belt and put the boy over you knee...

doc when it snows here and no more then one or two inches laying sometimes more everything is closed, roads, stores and if the store is open there will be no milk or bread. a milk sandwich just doesn't sound good.[ddd

Biggest snow in my lifetime was the blizzard of 93, we got 17", a once in a lifetime event. Like odie said, 2-3" is about the norm, maybe once or twice a winter if that often. So I'm lucky in that aspect, I could build it a little lighter using less materials and saving about half the cost.

Grandson has been diagnosed ADDHD. He is on meds, but they don't always do the job. VERY hyper, behavioral problems galore, totally ignores instruction, very strong willed. 85-90% of the time he's good as gold, that other 20% he's impossible to handle. "Goes to the woodshed" quite often, sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't, you never know.

Back to the carport----
Top is on! Truck is in the shop, so I've taken advantage of a few days off. Put the last metal on yesterday. Thought I was going to be a sheet short, but I'd miscounted the last time I looked. Now I've got some bracing I want to add underneath, clean it out again, and get ready for some crushed rock in a few weeks.

Second: I can't help but notice how little slope you have. You're fortunate (in my opinion) you don't have to deal with "snow load". (Up here, the widely accepted/safe pitch is 4/12.) Just saying, I'm glad you don't need a heavy slope, because a 4/12 pitch would cut your new posts in half and completely defeat the purpose!

You're right, we definitely have to build things a lot differently here than in warmer climates because of snow and cold weather. I am always amazed by houses in the southern states in how differently they're built than ours up here.

talked to my masonic brother that is going to work with me on the car, has a shop set up and the tools we need to do the build. he's going to have surgery in a week so this is going to put the build off for close to a month. i plan on trying to get something done on my shop in that time. was hoping to have it under it's own power by the oct show but it will be a push. oh mav check out the lineup for the foothills festival, think i'll be there both nights.

a milk sandwich just doesn't sound good

Ha! [cl

Grandson has been diagnosed ADDHD. He is on meds, but they don't always do the job. VERY hyper, behavioral problems galore, totally ignores instruction, very strong willed. 85-90% of the time he's good as gold, that other 20% he's impossible to handle. "Goes to the woodshed" quite often, sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't, you never know.

Thanks for the explanation. I'm sorry the little "time bomb" keeps you from attending car events... the rock-chucking Mustang incident would finish me as well! :mad:

Your carport: I'm glad you found the "missing" sheet... like finding forgotten cash in a pocket. :D

When your crushed rock arrives, how will you keep grandson from poking the windows out of your house and/or the Lincoln? Just saying, every kid likes to throw rocks!

Doc, it will be a struggle for sure. He has put two pretty sizeable dents in the fender of my black F150 with a piece of steel pipe. He's bad to hit the cars with whatever is in his hands at the moment, toys, rocks, hammer, piece of pipe....:eek: I'm trying my damndest to break him from it, but when his temper flares up, ain't much you can do unless you're right on top of him, he's so quick he's done hit something before you know it. We're doing everything we can, Dr.'s, therapists, etc, but sometimes nothing helps. I can see a time in the future when we have to place him somewhere, my wife is not in the best of health, and I'm not as good as I was a few years ago, age is starting to slow me down.

His Dad is supposed to be out of prison later this year, drug charges, but don't know how much help he'll be. His Mom, well she's locked up too, in another state so we don't hear much from her. Same deal, drug charges with her. Little fellow never had a chance when he came into this world, we've given him more than they ever would have. He's the only grandchild we have {that we know about, there's a girl that could be, but there hasn't been any blood tests so we don't know for sure, but she sure favors her Dad}, so we're going to tough it out as long as we are able.

Thanks for asking, I don't mind sharing our story with him. If he can out grow that 10-20%, we couldn't ask for a better kid. He's highly intelligent, so if we can get the rest under control, he'll make a good adult one of these days.

I'm no expert. I have ADD. I don't have the hyper active part so bad. Have you tried working the energy out of him? Seems I do better if I'm kept busy and on track with a list of things to do. Only trying to help. Keep showing him how much you love him and that means discipline too. Good luck.

I definitely feel for the kid having come into the world with a less than ideal family situation. He's blessed that you were able to take him in, I hope and the team you've compiled can help to get him on a good path. Best of luck.

A friend of mines grandson was that way growing up and now is a fine 18 year old young man holding down a good paying job.
Find something he's passionate about and use that as a tool.
Stay the course my friend things will change.

Piling on... my son's best friend (Ben) had behavioral issues. His parents had no choice but to pull him from 2nd grade public school (incorrigible) and "home school" him for a year.

Here's all I know for sure... his parents put their noses to the stone, invested in Ben and stuck to their guns. Their efforts were not in vain... Ben still has a wild hair, but he's never been in trouble with the law and makes a good living in construction.

At any rate, I applaud you for trying to make a difference in a young man's life. If you don't care, nobody does...

Latest posts

Back