Tornado

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad you and yours are ok! Hope your neighbors fared as well too.

Thanks everyone.
The power company and insurance adjusters said we received the worst of anyone out of the 9 tornadoes that touched down in a 20 mile raduis. They said it was an F1 that was 200 feet wide and 100 mph winds.
The old house is a total and will be torn down with a new house about 50 feet behind where it is now.
Power was back on in my shop at 4:00 today. A friend has spent the last two days replacing the weather head, meter box and a new 200 amp box on my shop from the damage.
The wife and I are taking a break and going to Dewey Oklahoma for the Stay Katz 500 show in the morning and staying till Sunday, then back at it Monday.
Insurance adjusters came out yesterday and took excellent care of us. Monday, I take my little 89 short wide Silverado to the body shop to get the repair done to it.

Glad you folks are ok! We were just barely missed back in 2011, one came through my back yard but hadn’t touched down yet, it sat down about 1/2 mile later and proceeded to tear a bunch of stuff up. We only lost a tree or two and some tin off and old building.

Hope your homeowners insurance pays you well. The house looks like it might could be saved? If we can be any help, let us know.

Glad you and your wife were not hurt!!!!!
My Granddad used to say these events were just a test of your staying power.
I've got a motor home you are welcome to use if you need it. Just say the word and I'll bring it to you.
Thoughts and prayers to you brother..

Dang OI... so sorry to hear that...

Also very glad that you are all around.... Sure hope you can get things back to normal soon...

Wow I just saw this, how devastating but I'm glad you and yours weren't harmed. Metal and wood can be replaced and repaired. Has any progress started on removing the old home and starting the new one?

Has any progress started on removing the old home and starting the new one?

I've been clearing the debris for the last few weeks.
Yesterday a friend of mine was able to turn loose one of his excavators and I tore down the structure. Tomorrow there will be a removal of it with a match.
We decided to go with a modular home. I was surprised of the quality they now have. They have 2x6 exterior walls with r-19 insulation, r-50 ceiling insulation and double pane single hung windows.
This is not a mobile home but an actual stick built home.
I'll post pics as soon as I can get them.
They can build and deliver the home in 5 to 6 weeks [cl:cool:

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• 20190603_192025.jpg
    20190603_192025.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 55
  • 20190603_192029.jpg
    20190603_192029.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 54
  • 20190603_192127.jpg
    20190603_192127.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 53
  • 20190603_193532.jpg
    20190603_193532.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 53
Good to see you are making progress OI.
Modulars have come a long way. We have quite a few in my area as well as old school mobil homes. One of the few areas left around here that still allows mobil homes.
Mines not even a double wide.:eek: But it has a 4 car garage attached.[cl :D :cool:
Keep on keeping on....
Torchie

There are lots of modulars around here in the rural areas. I'm glad things are moving forward. By going to a modular you'll fast-track the whole process and hopefully be back to "normal" feeling much sooner!

Glad things seem to be moving along, not sure I could have remained
as calm as you seem to have... my cousin bought a module home a
couple of years ago.. beautiful home. Best of luck with everything.

Just now seeing this so i got to go straight to the rebuilding plans. Looks like it will all be better than before. Would like to know the story OI. Were you in the house when it happened? Just wonderful that you and your wife were not hurt.

When the storm started there was some lightening which knocked out the electricity. Around 8 p.m. the lights went out, not uncommon so, we lit the oil lamps. At around 8:30 the wife asked me if I thought she should change from her pj's to regular clothes. I told her I thought that was a good idea. At 8:45 I heard a helluva noise (not the freight train noise everyone talks about) and told her to get up and come with me, we headed towards the back of the house and she asked where we were going, I said to the basement, she said, I don't have my shoes on then turned to go to back to the living room. I grabbed her shirt collar and shoved here and the dog into the bathroom and then pushed her and the dog into the shower, I turned and shut the door and held onto the door knob for all I was worth and the tornado hit instantly.
A huge rumble went through the house and for about 30 seconds, every door in the house opened and shut at least 20 times. When it subsided, I opened the door and another smaller twister went through rattling the doors again, I shut the door again holding onto the knob.
We moved into a friends rental house and I can tell you this, for the next couple weeks I got very anxious every time another storm came through.
The people from the National Storm Center came out and said it was 200 feet wide with 100 mile an hour rotation making it a category 1. There was more than one funnel as there were trees torn up in a path 600 feet wide down the valley we live in.
The neighbor lady's barn got hit and killed 5 calves other than that, we were the only ones in our area hit.
They had 29 funnels across the area that night that tore other folks places up but, they were 20 miles east of us.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing OI. In about '75 myself, wife and kids went to IL. in our station wagon. Coming back we stopped in a roadside park to sleep. In the morning my wife told me she had woken up about 1 am and decided to drive a little more but oddly the car wouldn't start. At daylight the car started up and 3/4 mile down the road a tornado had crossed our path in the night and left debris and corrugated panels hanging in the trees. A couple of years before that in MO..... in the winter,.... the radio said a tornado was southwest of me heading my way. The next report said it was sighted northeast of me, meanwhile i had heard that freight train go over my house. I moved out of tornado alley at my first opportunity.

Latest posts

Back