Oh the power!!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You ever see one of those behemoths "blow" an engine... right out of the frame? (You thought hod rodding was expensive!)

That one at the beginning doing a burnout with the front tires locked and there's smoke rolling off the front tires :eek:

Always burn yourself a nice big flat spot, just before you attempt top speed!

Yeah I was thinking of that doc, a nice big flat spot on those front tires. Just what you want.

Your comment of blowing the engine reminds me of the high-power pulling tractors blowing engines. Those are violent!

I'm a diesel head, that stuff fascinates me. Im always trying to make more power and efficiency with my cummins

And I spent almost 50 years trying to learn every trick on how to NOT slide my tires, spin my tires, or get any colour in my exhaust.
I remember a gear-shifting experience where I needed all three of these tricks. We were hauling about fifty tons of logs each trip and crossing three rivers in the sixty mile trip. Each side of each river was about 1 1/2 to 2 miles long. On one river hill, if I could get to a certain rosebush sticking out of the snowbank on the righthand side, and still be in second and second, then I could shift just the progressive auxiliary transmission into first, [under full power of coarse]. If I wasn't up to the rosebush when the revs got down to 1900, then I had to shift the main into first and leave the auxiliary in second. This was on hard packed snow and barefoot. So, no spinning or power surges or changing colour of exhaust or you would be going backwards down the hill in the dark lickety-split. I always had my back up lights already on because there was no time after you spun out to find the switch. Luckily most of the older trucks had no front wheel brakes on them, because, when you're backing down an icy hill all of the weight comes off of your front end so the front wheels have very little traction and when you're backing down a long icy hill in the dark, pushing a long heavy trailer, you don't want to loose control, by sliding your steering tires.

And I spent almost 50 years trying to learn every trick on how to NOT slide my tires, spin my tires, or get any colour in my exhaust.
I remember a gear-shifting experience where I needed all three of these tricks. We were hauling about fifty tons of logs each trip and crossing three rivers in the sixty mile trip. Each side of each river was about 1 1/2 to 2 miles long. On one river hill, if I could get to a certain rosebush sticking out of the snowbank on the righthand side, and still be in second and second, then I could shift just the progressive auxiliary transmission into first, [under full power of coarse]. If I wasn't up to the rosebush when the revs got down to 1900, then I had to shift the main into first and leave the auxiliary in second. This was on hard packed snow and barefoot. So, no spinning or power surges or changing colour of exhaust or you would be going backwards down the hill in the dark lickety-split. I always had my back up lights already on because there was no time after you spun out to find the switch. Luckily most of the older trucks had no front wheel brakes on them, because, when you're backing down an icy hill all of the weight comes off of your front end so the front wheels have very little traction and when you're backing down a long icy hill in the dark, pushing a long heavy trailer, you don't want to loose control, by sliding your steering tires.

I bet there were some butt pucker moments there.:eek:

No Doc., I was OK with putting on chains and carried them with me, winter and summer for the last twenty years. Chains are easy to put on, before you are in trouble, but a rotten horror after.
It depended on the weather, so if it was snowing at all, raining, near melting, or near 40* below, everyone just stopped on the river flat and put on one set of triple railers. My brother and I cross-shifted on his '70 Kenworth all winter so we made four trips in twenty four hours, one in daylight and three in the dark. We almost always put one set of chains on before we got loaded and kept them on for the first ten or twelve loaded miles of terrible road, in the foothills. I use the term 'road' loosely here. They were cutlines and cat trails smoothed out a little. When the road got a little better we took our chains off.
It struck me last night that some of you would not be used to our rivers being really deep here, so I found a picture of me starting down into the Wapiti River, a half mile south of my house. This road that you see goes down almost three quarters of a mile to the flat that the gravel pit is on. If you could make a road down to the river from the pit, it would be at least another half a mile.

Attachments

• WP_20170928_001.jpg
    WP_20170928_001.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 15

Latest posts

Back