I just bought a V-8, a flat one.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maddog

Here he comes to save the day!
Went to a garage sale today and across the street I noticed a 38 ford so I wandered over and got to talking. The guy took out a running (dont know how well) flathead /3 speed and is replacing it with a 350/350. No oil in the radiator and no water in the oil. Complete, air cleaner to the motor mounts including the radiator.

I paid $200.

I dont need it but I wanted it so what the heck.
Did I do ok? or pay too much? Tell me the truth, I have no idea what its worth.

I want to build a stand and fire it up.:D:D I guess it would be 6v, correct?

depends on the trany what you want to do with the car . bomb around town then good take on long drives no good . i would personally put a t 5 out of an s 10 pickup behind it . perfect . i sell flat head motors and two hundred is th going rate for one . if it runs then you did good .

I got $500 for the 8BA and trany that came out of my 51 F1 a few years ago and the guy seemed more that happy to get it.:D

I didnt know the difference when I bought it, but I find out after studying the only pic I took, that its a mercury 49-53 they (my car club buddys) tell me, but they werent sure. I only took a small photo to the meeting tonight.

I understand that the cubic inches is bigger, heads are different and crank is better and stroke is longer.

Can anyone expand or correct any of this?

Attachments

• hotrod photo shoot (Medium).jpg
    hotrod photo shoot (Medium).jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 46
Engine stand!

I didnt know the difference when I bought it, but I find out after studying the only pic I took, that its a mercury 49-53 they (my car club buddys) tell me, but they werent sure. I only took a small photo to the meeting tonight.

Maddog,
Can't help out of the ID but looks like wee use the same brand engine stands! ; - >

BoB

I understand that the cubic inches is bigger, heads are different and crank is better and stroke is longer.

Yes the cubic inches are increased because the Ford flattie had a 3 3/4" stroke on the crank, where the Mercs had a 4' stroke crank. However the jurnal sizes where the same on both blocks so the cranks where interchangable. I'm not sure about any difference in the heads though.

Latest posts

Back