ebrock street master intake with hole?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spdcrazy

i was given a 4b streetmaster intake and noticed a hole (looks to be drilled?)

the hole can t be seen from straight down the carb opening. it seems to be centered left and right, and rearward i do believe.

i thought it was drilled but my buddy (who gave it to me) thinks maybe it was manu that way.

Vacuum port for power brake booster.
If you blow air into it you'll find it comes out of a threaded hole somewhere else on the manifold as long as there isn't a plug in the corresponding hole.

Here's an example
You have to remove the plugs for this one and thread the hole/holes yourself

attachment.php

Attachments

• intake.jpg
    intake.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 63
Pretty sure that's an EGR port not a brake booster port. Those would be on top so as not to fill with fuel. The big intake pic posted shows where the EGR valve would be mounted to the intake.

BTW not to slam you in any way but that intake is a fuel economy, LOW end torque intake. For high performance you could probably do better with a stock intake. Just look at those ports.

BTW not to slam you in any way but that intake is a fuel economy, LOW end torque intake. For high performance you could probably do better with a stock intake. Just look at those ports.

yes i'm aware. its on my dodge power wagon and its my daily so mileage is my goal, the 318 has a cam in it of some sort, seems to be low end as well.. I needed to go over the top half cleaning and inspecting and such, so the intake got put on to try out. the hesitation i had before has been resolved with the intake and carter afb.

while in there i noticed the pushrods are all straight and didn't see any pitting on the cam. just general inspection.

the Streetmaster series of manifolds were intended to strong in the 2500 to 6500 rpm range. they work best with some extra rear gear and slightly higher than stock stall speed, something like a 2500 rpm stall 11" converter.

they are not a good low end torque setup with the 360 degree single level plenum, a better choice for low end torque would be the newer RPM series manifolds with 180 degree runners that work best from idle to 5500rpm..

the Streetmaster series of manifolds were intended to strong in the 2500 to 6500 rpm range. they work best with some extra rear gear and slightly higher than stock stall speed, something like a 2500 rpm stall 11" converter.

they are not a good low end torque setup with the 360 degree single level plenum, a better choice for low end torque would be the newer RPM series manifolds with 180 degree runners that work best from idle to 5500rpm..

hmm good to know. ive got 4.10's and 31in tires. but not sure about the tranny. its a 727 and afaik its stock. but then again this truck has been worked on by far to many hands

i'll keep with it for now. getting my feet wet in this carb/intake/v8 mess. love it and i'm learning alot.

You know Blue Norther, when I saw those puny ports I was confusing it with the old sp2p Edelbrock now that I think of it, either way that particular intake has such small ports there is no way it will be "strong" above 5500 rpm. Putting a four hole spacer under the carb may increase the signal to the boosters and provide a little Band-Aid for the open plenum issue BN referred to.

You know Blue Norther, when I saw those puny ports I was confusing it with the old sp2p Edelbrock now that I think of it, either way that particular intake has such small ports there is no way it will be "strong" above 5500 rpm. Putting a four hole spacer under the carb may increase the signal to the boosters and provide a little Band-Aid for the open plenum issue BN referred to.

i added a 1in spacer to help give it some room. like i said its not exactly what i want. but its been than the stock iron one.

i ran one on a 400 dodge that turned 6700 rpm at the track. older design, and better ones on the market. free is best of all, mount it and run it. they are good street intakes.

I didn't say it was total junk, it's just that it wasn't as good as they thought it would be.

and the mfg is the ones saying it was stronger than a stock 2 bbl up to 6500 rpm not me.

as a lot of the 318 2 bbl manifolds were of the 360* variety, this man. with a small 4 bbl
is going to feel pretty good when stomped on. It was never intended to be a truck manifold, it was aimed at the hot street/strip type cars with plenty of gears and a 4 speed or high stalling converter.

I tried one on a SBC in a pickup back in the early eighties and found it lacking in mpg and off idle snot. the stock manifold was better for towing than the street master, took it off and put on a Edelbrock 180* hirise w/ Holley 600 cfm, and found a huge improvement in off-idle torque and picked up a couple MPG when towing my race car.

i'm liking the knowledge guys.

quick silly question. what are you talking about 180 vrs 360* manifolds?

180 being dual plane
360 being single?

Latest posts

Back