Older intake on 1990 SBC ?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Country Misfit

I tell you... I get no respect!
I got a 1990 Chevy 350,that has TBI. I want to change it to run a carb,when I put that motor in my Rat. I got a intake+carb+dist,from a older SBC. A friend of mine told me I have to redrill the center holes in the intake to make it work. Can any of you give me some advice on how to do that? Also,what kind of inline fuel pump is good to use.Thax

On the late model engines, I think it's the center four bolts that are drilled straight up and down, instead of on the angle of the heads. I have seen people take a small grinder and open the holes in the intake up to a slot, then use a wedge like those in the link to get the bolt head bottom surface flat to the manifold. You could make your own wedge washers pretty easy. Best way to tell, is with the intake off and the heads bare, screw a couple of bolts in the head and if they are angled differently, you will see how to modify the manifold. I think Edelbrock sells manifolds that fit both patterns.

Thax for the advice + the link,guys. Ive only worked on old carb engines,never worked on newer stuff,so I didnt know what it took. Thax again

My first reaction was to suggest you use the original pump with a return style regulator-then I realized you were pulling this motor for your rat. Summit makes an electric pump similar to the old Holley red pump for around $90 that's probably the cheapest, decent pump your gonna find. I've heard other guys suggest the old Carter pumps but I've never used one, however you might find one of those at your local auto parts store.

Latest posts

Back