What to do.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blacksheep

Ok, so I believe I'm going to have to rebuild the 429 in my project. I'm thinking that by the time I have all of the machine work done, parts, gaskets, and other items, I will spend around $2k. Don't think I'm too far off. I found a complete motor tranny set up that was professionally built a little meaner than stock 460 . It comes with all new gaskets ,intake , carb water pump, harmonic balancer, distributor, alternator , wires , basically everything to get it running. I am familiar with the shop who did the work, and the guy will sell me motor / tranny for $1600 . I never buy someone else's freshly rebuilt motor, but it sure seems like I could come out better by doing just that. I have probably $1200 worth of stuff on my motor that I acquired cheap cheap that I could sell to make up a lot of what I will spend on a fresh motor, AND tranny. Very tempting, and could get me o n the road quicker too. :D

Thanks guys. Yes, the motor was built by a local machine shop. It was built to Interceptor specs (whatever) , haha. The engine has not even been painted yet,and is still dripping with assembly oil. It does have the D3 heads and not Dove heads, but I have some rebuilt C8 heads on my existing motor. I just think I would save money . I'm going to look tomorrow.

Well, I spoke to the guy again today. Looks like I'll be going to look at it on Monday. I believe I have about $1200 in goodies I can sell off my motor. Plus I will have a set of Trick Flow valve covers and a new Edlebrock carb to sell. From the new motor.

Something I learned when building a 460 a few years ago is to use an early pre smog timing gear and chain set since it sets the cam straight up - the later timing gears (72 & up ?) set the cam at 4 degrees retarded. The builder may have already done that but it's worth checking on for some cheap HP. Many aftermarket performance timing sets have multiple keyways on the crank gear to achieve this - even better is to degree the cam per manufacturers specs.
Go with the C8 heads ('68) as the D3 ('73) heads may likely have the smog port lumps in the exhaust port (though easily ground down with a carbide bit on a drill and a couple hours work) which supposedly cost about 20 HP. The C8 heads may also have smaller chambers for more compression ?

Something I learned when building a 460 a few years ago is to use an early pre smog timing gear and chain set since it sets the cam straight up - the later timing gears (72 & up ?) set the cam at 4 degrees retarded. The builder may have already done that but it's worth checking on for some cheap HP. Many aftermarket performance timing sets have multiple keyways on the crank gear to achieve this - even better is to degree the cam per manufacturers specs.
Go with the C8 heads ('68) as the D3 ('73) heads may likely have the smog port lumps in the exhaust port (though easily ground down with a carbide bit on a drill and a couple hours work) which supposedly cost about 20 HP. The C8 heads may also have smaller chambers for more compression ?

Straight up timing gear was the first thing I looked for. It does have it and not the 8* 72 up . It does have D3 heads, but they have been redone and shaved, along with the block being 0 decked flat. That should have brought the compression back up to around 9.5:1 . I have some ported C8 heads that I may install on this motor, but just gonna wait until I get the motor and check it out. The builder used a little lumper cam , but unsure what grind. I will surely know before buying.

Latest posts

Back