Rochester 2gc

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geech

Banned
Even though my ride isn't on the road, I've decided to go 3x2 setup so I have a question or 2. Any and all help is appreciated.
1. What is the CFM of the 2gc?
2. Other than the inlet on the side or the inlet in the front are they basically the same?

Thanks

3x2

Geech,
I ordered mine from Vintage Speed. Here's what he wrote me about my BB...
STROBERGS WON'T BE NEAR ENOUGH FUEL FOR THE 425. I WOULD RECEOMMEND THE ROCHESTER CARB. 850 CFM VERSUS 450.
So divide by 3.

Here is a link to their page. If u have questions, e-mail them... they typically don't answer their phone but do answer their e-mail! Good luck & keep us updated...

Vintage Speed

BoB

Thanks for the response, right now I'm just trying to learn all I can about what headaches are coming. For now my plan is to block off the outer 2.... I know, I know, but for my rock stock 305 it should be fine. But later on when I go up to a warm 350 I'll be ready and all I'll have to do is remove a "solid" gasket.

The ones you want came on cars like early to mid '60's 283 Chevies. There are two versions, large base and small base, you want the small base, and those were used on cars like I mentioned.

The side inlet makes it easier to run your fuel lines as they are out of the way of the next carb. You can either buy a NAPA kit, soak the carbs overnight, and rebuild your own, or send them to one of the carb services to have them redyed and all. They come back like brand new.

I think they flow about 170 each, so one would run a 305 just fine, but it wouldn't take much more work to make them all operational. Gastrick just went through this on his '32 and may be able to give first hand info on what he ran in to.

I have 6 of these carbs, 3 for my '39 Dodge and 3 for my T someday. I bought them all off of ebay and paid about $ 15-$ 25 each. I won one as a whole setup, 2 barrel intake and carb. I told the guy to put the intake back on ebay, all I wanted was the carb and didn't want to pay to ship a heavy intake I didn't need.

My Son Dan sent his carbs off to All American Carburation and had them redone. He has an original Olds 442 W30 setup, and they charged about $450 for rebuilding and replating all 3 carbs. Did a fantastic job. Here are the before and after pictures.

These are the real McCoys as far as tripower carbs go. You will notice the end carbs are shorter and have no idle adjustment screws. That is how you tell the difference.
Don

Attachments

• dans carbs before rebuild.jpg
    dans carbs before rebuild.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 14
  • dans tripower carbs after rebuild.jpg
    dans tripower carbs after rebuild.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 18
  • dans tripower carbs after rebuild 2.jpg
    dans tripower carbs after rebuild 2.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 10
  • dans headers 2.jpg
    dans headers 2.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Those look awesome, I know 3 x 2 isn't the most practical setup, but the cool factor is off the charts.
Thanks for the info, I'm in no hurry just gathering info and waiting for my refund check so I can stimulate the economy, this will be my contribution. Like I said for this motor the center carb, down the road I'll use all 3 when I go to more motor. Just planning ahead, so each improvement will be easy.

Actually, trips can be a very streetable setup. I've owned several cars with factory setups over the years ('63 Pontiac and two '66 GTO's) and as long as you keep you foot out of them, they can provide very good milage and drivability. Keeping your foot out of them is another story altogether. :rolleyes::D

One day I borrowed my Son's '65 Olds convertible that had a 455 with the tripower setup Dan now owns. I came out of a toll booth and saw a guy I worked with pulling out, so I kicked them in hard to play with him. Thing scared me half to death!:eek: Not only the scream from the trips, but that thing would flat out haul. :D

Don

Latest posts

Back