Multi engine questions

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonehead

Skull Master
I have gotten a little curious as to the best way to hook up multi engines lately. Just considering a project. I was thinking crank to crank, with one starter. ideas? enlightment?:D

Attachments

• multi engine.jpg
    multi engine.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 43
  • mult engine 2.jpg
    mult engine 2.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 41
  • multi engine 3.jpg
    multi engine 3.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 36
  • multi engine 4.jpg
    multi engine 4.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 31
  • multi engine 5.jpg
    multi engine 5.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 41
See, this is what happens when someone has too much time on their hands. The mind starts to wander into strange areas. :D

There used to be an Orange T at the Daytona Turkey run every year that had two sbc's mounted inline. Very similar to the car that you have shown Bonehead. I would think a single starter would be good althouth depending on the compression ratio of the engines, it may be asking a lot of the starter.

I would like to see a car built with inline multi engines that is styled along the lines of the old Competion Coupes (dragster with a body including roof). I'll put up a pic or two when I get home. I'm at the shop right now.

Too much time! You got that right.

If you could put a hand clutch between them you could start one and throw the clutch to fire #2. I am thinking inline would be the way to go. Side by side you would probably build a chain drive, (enclosed or not) to drop back to a single drive shaft.

I have no experience in this what-so-ever.......
But just thinking out loud, if you were going to try it, might be a good idea to consider it with 2 "Bonestock engines" the first go round. Reason being, you might want to use that as your learning platform.

A good place to start your research might be with a tractor pulling association.

Like I siad, just thinking out loud.

A guy in SoCal had a "T" pickup with blown sbc he was trying to sell. They he went with dual blowers. Now it has dual blown engines. The coupler connecting the 2 engines blew. Luckily, no one was hit by shrapnel. Now it has a shield in case it blows again. You can also disconnect the coupler to run on the rear engine only.

Saw the thing cruising the swap meet. Lots of flex in the frame. Don't know if I would want one. Haven't seen it in a couple of years though.

Last part. They were big enough to read. I'm not sure what happened. Maybe you can save them and resize. Unless your eyes are real good.

It would be unusual alright.:eek: but in a good way.:D
I havnt seen one running around town lately.

Like Flatbroke, just thinking out loud, I think it would be good to have a forgiving coupling between the two. The hitting of each cylinder could be quite stressfull on a ridgid one.

Great idea though, I think you should do it right away!:D

That Fiat was a earth shaker 6840 cubic inches. I went on a west coast tour with Art Arfons (Green Monster)in the late 50's one of those engines made the earth shake.

I like the idea inline.One starter would never do it unless it had a clutch to light the second one off.But you could have a starter on each one and just fire them off of 2 differnt switches.

That is what got me thinking of this to start with. I was going through the build in my head, and I hit the starter issues. Seems like the starters would drag along on one or the other, if they were hooked crank to crank, especailly if one did'nt start right off and the other did. Thats what brought me back to one starter.

Bone,You gotta a point there.Maybe one of those electric jobs on the first one like they use to fire a dragster then pull it off when its running.

Latest posts

Back