Brake line kit?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...or when done wrong can make even the cleanest chassis or engine compartment look totally half-assed...

I can attest to that. I did my brakes all neat with sticks, but my gas line I did from coil line. Had to thread it through several spots and bend it on the spot - a monkey couldn't have done much worse! (I hate monkeys)

(I hate monkeys)

He doesn't like you much either! :D

41575_17762269307_4455633_n.jpg

Below is a tip I posted a while back. Some may find it helpful so I'm posting it again here.

Here's a small tip for use when bending brakelines. It makes it easy to calculate bends when making lines that need to go into, or around corners. If you don't already use it, give it a try on your next job. Works on fuel, tranny, and other lines too.

Before starting your next job, cut a pice of line approximately 5" to 6" long. The length is not critical. Get a marker and your tubing bender out.

Now place that short piece of tubing in your bender as if you were preparing to bend it. Then take your marker and mark the tubing at the 0 degree mark on your bender. If your bender is not marked in degrees, make a reference mark on it with a scribe or file.

Now go ahead and bend the short piece of tubing into a 90.

Now, let's say that you are plumbing your hot rod and need to make a 90 degree bend around a chassis crossmember. Lay or hold the brakeline you are using to plumb your car above or below the chassis, extending past the crossmember where you need to make the bend. Lay your short, marked piece of tubing next to your workpiece and into the corner you are bending around. Like this..........

Now, with your marker, transfer the line on your template line to the actual line that you are using for your brakeline. Now place your brakeline in your bender, lining up your mark at 0 degrees and make the bend. This makes for a perfect bend length calculation every time.

Below is a tip I posted a while back. Some may find it helpful so I'm posting it again here.

Here's a small tip for use when bending brakelines. It makes it easy to calculate bends when making lines that need to go into, or around corners. If you don't already use it, give it a try on your next job. Works on fuel, tranny, and other lines too.

Before starting your next job, cut a pice of line approximately 5" to 6" long. The length is not critical. Get a marker and your tubing bender out.

Now place that short piece of tubing in your bender as if you were preparing to bend it. Then take your marker and mark the tubing at the 0 degree mark on your bender. If your bender is not marked in degrees, make a reference mark on it with a scribe or file.

Now go ahead and bend the short piece of tubing into a 90.

Now, let's say that you are plumbing your hot rod and need to make a 90 degree bend around a chassis crossmember. Lay or hold the brakeline you are using to plumb your car above or below the chassis, extending past the crossmember where you need to make the bend. Lay your short, marked piece of tubing next to your workpiece and into the corner you are bending around. Like this..........

Now, with your marker, transfer the line on your template line to the actual line that you are using for your brakeline. Now place your brakeline in your bender, lining up your mark at 0 degrees and make the bend. This makes for a perfect bend length calculation every time.

Wow, that's a fantastic piece of advice! AND its so easy, im surprised that monkey above didn't come up with it!
THANKS!

How about materials?
NiCopp Nickel Copper Alloy
PVF Steel
Steel
Stainless Steel

What are the upsides and downsides of these?
Obviously, stainless wont rust out, But is harder to work with. Steel will eventually rust out, probably not in my lifetime.
PVF steel would prevent the lines from rusting but im sure is hard to make look good since you have to cut the sheathing off before flaring.
NiCop sounds good though the cost is higher.

I have a little experience bending tubing, but when I get ready to do mine I am going to study what the lowriders do for their hydro setups. Has to be some of the most beautiful plumbing I have ever seen.

double flaring tool?

I'm getting ready to run brake and fuel lines on my rat. I have a cheap flaring tool, and I'm reading about the warnings not to use a cheap tool.
What brands do you all recommend?
Eastwood?
how much am I talking about laying out on a tool?
50?:cool:
150?:eek:
250?:eek:

there seems to be quite a range of tools out there.

I'm getting ready to run brake and fuel lines on my rat. I have a cheap flaring tool, and I'm reading about the warnings not to use a cheap tool.
What brands do you all recommend?
Eastwood?
how much am I talking about laying out on a tool?
50?:cool:
150?:eek:
250?:eek:

there seems to be quite a range of tools out there.

I haven't quite got to this point yet but will be very soon. The guys have talked me into using per flared tubing available at most auto parts stores.
I stopped into a couple and they sell off the shelve tubing with the hardware attached already for $7 for 7 feet!
I'll be plumbing 90% of mine with this, then likely using flex for the remaining terminations.
If I were to do it out of coil, I'd probably spend the $$$ on a good tool that will assure a solid connection the first time. $250 is a big bite out of the budget, but it's the biggest safety feature of all vehicles out there!!!
I don't wanna be the first person to test a failed break line :rolleyes:

I'm an absolute failure at double flaring brake lines. I've built a dozen cars in the last 12 years, using standard lengths of brake line. Typically I have one union that wouldn't be necessary by making custom length lines.
Yes, my brake lines are not as neat because of the need to make some extra bends to take up extra length. But, none of my work is all that neat.

I'm an absolute failure at double flaring brake lines. I've built a dozen cars in the last 12 years, using standard lengths of brake line. Typically I have one union that wouldn't be necessary by making custom length lines.
Yes, my brake lines are not as neat because of the need to make some extra bends to take up extra length. But, none of my work is all that neat.

dont feel bad.
the lines on my jeep are not pretty...

Latest posts

Back