30 Hudson / Old Hemi

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wannaby

Hi guys got a chance to buy this engine and pushbutton tranny and exhaust ,Guy is asking 3grand ...seems a little steep but they are rare right thoughts.

Attachments

• DOUGS CARS AND AMIES TRUCK 146.jpg
    DOUGS CARS AND AMIES TRUCK 146.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 84
276 firedome hemi

I would like to stick the motor in this think it would be pretty cool dodge coupe with dodge running gear.Just wondering if it is done in rat rod style if it would be worth it.

Attachments

• 22767197_614[1].jpg
    22767197_614[1].jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 45
  • 22767182_614[1].jpg
    22767182_614[1].jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 39
  • 22767187_614[1].jpg
    22767187_614[1].jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 44
3K seems steep to me, but I'm not in the market for one. I've seen them for less, but in need of rebuild and with no tranny. I would use an adapter and run a more modern transmission though.

Is the engine running, and do you know it's reliable? Have you checked online to see what's out there and what the prices are?

I don't pay much for motors but I often know a guy who has exactly what I want. I just bought a fairly uncommon (but newer than the Hemi) 430 Buick in need of rebuild for $50 through the local classifieds. There are deals to be had if you look for one, but they can be harder to find for Hemi motors.

276 firedome hemi

engine came out of a running car he drove it down the other day .not shur of the mileage but will be getting that info.Not much use to buy it with the tranny if Im going to have to buy an adapter and another tranny.
I realize this motor is the smallest hemi so just doing it for looks rather than power. Yes lots to think about.I do have a fully built 350 sitting in the corner. but anybody can drop a 350 in something...just wondering if it might be worth it to go for something different.
I see new fuelinjected hemis going for around 2G,s around here.

engine came out of a running car he drove it down the other day .not shur of the mileage but will be getting that info.Not much use to buy it with the tranny if Im going to have to buy an adapter and another tranny.
I realize this motor is the smallest hemi so just doing it for looks rather than power. Yes lots to think about.I do have a fully built 350 sitting in the corner. but anybody can drop a 350 in something...just wondering if it might be worth it to go for something different.
I see new fuelinjected hemis going for around 2G,s around here.

My point was just that the newer transmissions might be more reliable, regardless of the power you're putting to them. I know a lot of guys put newer transmissions behind the old Hemi's. Dodge wasn't well-known for their transmissions, after all. You might have no problem with the stock one, it was just a suggestion.

Whether or not it's worth it to go for something different is up to you. What about an old 413 cross-ram? There are plenty of weird powerplants you could use, that aren't a Hemi. I see so many Hemi-powered rat or hot rods that I am not such a big fan.

276 firedome hemi

hi yes point taken on reliability,but probably not going to run this too hard just a coffee shop cruiser. and you do have a point on the too many hemi rat rods probably why they are so pricy.I would be happy with any motor really just tossing the idea as the shell is a Hudson too so kinda keeping with the tradition not like a model a coupe with a hemi.

The pushbutton trans is considerably newer than the motor already. Pushbutton torqueflites ruled the dragstrips in the sixties. They were known as dial a win Dodges. If money is not an issue i believe that motor in the old Dodge would give you a lot of satisfaction. I know it would for me. For some reason i just hate to see anything but Mopar motors in the old Dodges and Plymouths.

276 firedome hemi

Well with me money is always an issue. Just don't want to go overboard and put so much dough into it that it has to be sold at a loss one day. But if I do get it together you cant put a price on the fun I will have with it .And Hemi,s up here are a little rarer than down south.
And I do agree that a dodge should have a dodge motor ....almost seems like it was meant to be as I asked my bud last week to find me on and it just so happened the guy brought his Desoto in and is going to put a brand new modern crate hemi in his for him yes money is no object.

old hemi's are becoming very rare, if it a fairly fresh rebuild and the trans is an aluminum version of the TF, it is worth every penny of $3000.

it would cost $4000-5000 to rebuild them today IF you can find decent cores.

that engine with the right cam and intake/carb combo would be killer in a light chassis like a hot rod.

276 firedome hemi

yes expensive to rebuild any engine nowadays exept mayby a smalblock chevy. ill get the info on the motor this weekend.

276 firedome hemi

another pick comes with exhaust possibly rebuilt rad , has dash shifter not pushbutton.rear end would be nice.

Attachments

• hemi for denis 004.jpg
    hemi for denis 004.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 62
That looks pretty good. There motor isn't all coated in oil so it looks like no major leaks and the seals must be alright. Looking at everything it comes with and how it looks now that it's out of the car it's probably worth that since it's a hemi.

You keep talking about Dodge in a Dodge but you say that's a Hudson... [S Sure dodge eventually swallowed up their legacy through AMC, but you could put whatever engine you wanted in it. It would be cool to put an AMC 390 or 401 in there, that would almost be more brand-matchy. Whatever you put in I hope you're happy with it.

276 firedome hemi

Hi ya not to up on the history,guess I could do whith another mtr sounds like the general opinion is the motor is decent and a fair price....not too many hemis up this way specially at this moment seems like this deal is meant to be ...could wait around and find another oddball motor but for now the hemi seems to be preferred...and could always pull it and flog it if I find something else...and mayby in the meantime hopfully enjoy it....thx guys.

Hi ya not to up on the history,guess I could do whith another mtr sounds like the general opinion is the motor is decent and a fair price....not too many hemis up this way specially at this moment seems like this deal is meant to be ...could wait around and find another oddball motor but for now the hemi seems to be preferred...and could always pull it and flog it if I find something else...and mayby in the meantime hopfully enjoy it....thx guys.

I strongly suggest that you do more research before paying $3k for a 276 unless it has a recent rebuild.

The original oem trans for a 53-54 DeSoto 276 is a Hy-Drive, NOT a PowerFlite.
Chrysler made a lot of trans design changes during the 50's before they finally settled on the TF.

The Hy-Drive is not desirable.

The original oem trans for a 53-54 DeSoto 276 is a Hy-Drive, NOT a PowerFlite.
Chrysler made a lot of trans design changes during the 50's before they finally settled on the TF.

The Hy-Drive is not desirable.

Looks more like the Power Flight to me with the longer tailshaft on it the Hy-Drive has a short tailshaft.also looks like the power flight is a more desierable trans as well as the rear end looks like it may be good ....thing is If I can get it all motor,trans, rear end,drive shaft....for around 2,Gs seems like a bargin to me....
even has the emergency brake on the end witch would make it simpler for a hotrod.
http://www.allpar.com/mopar/powerflite.html

Attachments

• powerflite[1].jpg
    powerflite[1].jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 24
...if it 'looks' like a PF then it is a PF. They all have distinguished looks.
Must be a late in-the-model-year assembly.

If you are happy with the engine and associated parts at the required price then jump on it.

276 firedome hemi

Finally resigned to the fact that I just don't have the expertise to complete the big stuff on my 29 Hudson .So packed everything up and brought it down to a friends to get the main stuff done here is progress so far.No idea why they keep showing upsidown mayby admin can correct.

Attachments

• IMG_0335.JPG
    IMG_0335.JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0334.JPG
    IMG_0334.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0336.JPG
    IMG_0336.JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0337.JPG
    IMG_0337.JPG