Opinions please

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sgt.Drillbit

Okay, my frame is 122", well just a touch over. I currently have a 4.3 liter VORTEC that I plan on using. It's out of an S-15 Jimmy. I am thinking of taking all the "VORTEC stuff"off and putting new intake and carb on it.

I'm thinking for my first Rat it's a good fit? Should be plenty of power since the car will be pretty lightweight....

Opinions on my idea please

I wish you were closer, I have the makings for a killer 4.3, a .040 over block and reworked heads. I had it done for a pickup my son had, he bought a complete engine while this one was in the shop, and left me sitting with this one. I don't have anything to put it in, and no need for it. I'll let it go cheap.....for less than the machine work on it....I'm tired of it being in my way.

RAT ROD:
Home Built
Low Buck
Driven

Sounds like it's within the 'rules'. Peppy little gas guzzler motors.

If you can, give yourself enough room to drop a 350 in down the road.

I'm not sure about the trans, this is all coming out of a 2wd S-15. I'm hoping it's not electronic. Otherwise, I'll probably try to trade it or sell it off and buy one that's not

The 4.3 is a great motor, I have had three of them in boats. Lots of power and all they are is a 350 Chevy with two cylinders lopped off. Problem is, not many intakes available and they are not cheap when you find them. But if you do, a 500 or 600 CFM Edelbrock carb will work well.

Just make sure you get an intake for the Vortec, they have a different bolt setup than the non Vortecs.

Don

LOL,sure dont have the same sound

43819429.jpg

on the trans issue: look at the tag on the trans, if there is an "E" in the model number, it is electronic.

TCI and few other trans companies make kits to run the E trans without a computer for less than $100. don't give up the over drive!!!!

and the reason it sounds different than a 350, is that it IS different!!! 3 fires per rev, not 4.

it's the same (almost) size ( 262ci ) as the first SBC 265, so it should make as much power as one. or more actually.

I'll have to do that once I get it all out of the donor vehicle. Thanks to GM and a crappy design I have to pull the power steering pump pully off to be able to get into the last manifold bolt...yeah annoying as [ddd

if you want an interesting sound run full exhaust with 2" staright pipe with a crossover or h pipe. had it on a square body blazer and it sounded like an old indy car. be warned that setup will cackle/backfire.

I had one 4.3, in an 85 MonteCarlo. Driving, you couldn't tell it from a 305 and it got 26-27 mpg on the highway. Personally, I'd leave it a throttle body. If you have the donor vehicle, you have everything you need.

can you switch to carb ? I thought the heads were different so that a manifold for a carb dont fit IDK . Where the manifold meets the heads were not slanted they are strait up and down ?? IDK.... Ive been wrong before :D

Latest posts

Back