Opinions on this Rust Paint

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

procharged 79

Hey folks, I've been researching for paint that would replicate the rust/patina effect of an old car. I found this product that is made in the U.K. It appears to actually rust and creates the effect perfectly. It's sprayed on and allowed to dry, then followed up with an activator that will cause the paint to rust. You keep applying the activator to achieve your desired effect. It was explained to me that the paint has iron oxide in it and the activator causes it to rust.

Here is a short 3-4 minute demo video:

http://www.sprayonrustpaint.co.uk/

I could see this as an excellent way to achieve the patina effect, what is ya'lls opinion? Does anyone know of another paint that can do this?

I wouldnt mind using this .. I think I would like it .. I dont like the idea of my rat rusting away , and I dont want to seal the rust in with a clear coat .. as I know the clear will protect it maybe from getting moisture to it ... but thats why im struggling with flat black paint .. I like the looks of rust but not at the expense of rusting my truck away !!!!!! It took 67 years to get mine in this shape . but if I dont do something to protect it .. it will get going faster than you think . JMO. :)

My opinion? Not into anything fake, period. If you have a rusty car and are working on it, fine. This paint is for those who just want to follow a trend. Again, opinion...

Here's my take on the paint.
The way it does I'd be afraid that if I ever did decide to paint one of my cars that this paint would have an adverse reaction to the new paint.
No i would never use it.

My opinion? Not into anything fake, period. If you have a rusty car and are working on it, fine. This paint is for those who just want to follow a trend. Again, opinion...

See, that's the problem, not all of us have a rusty car with natural patina. Here is a way for someone, such as myself, to take a car with an aging paint job and quickly transform the appearance into something that looks aged and vintage. And this could easily be accomplished over the course of several weekends.

As an FYI, I perform all my own paint jobs, I know the amount of effort it takes to do a quality paint job and because I have a full time job, a quality paint job would take me close to a year to complete. That's the main reason why I like this as an alternative.

Here's an opportunity for you to use the product and do a review here on this thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????

Here's my take on the paint.
The way it does I'd be afraid that if I ever did decide to paint one of my cars that this paint would have an adverse reaction to the new paint.
No i would never use it.

And you are absolutely correct. You would want to strip it off as a prep for new paint.

Is that really a bad thing? Typically, most paint shops would strip down to bare metal for a quality paint job anyways.

See, that's the problem, not all of us have a rusty car with natural patina. Here is a way for someone, such as myself, to take a car with an aging paint job and quickly transform the appearance into something that looks aged and vintage. And this could easily be accomplished over the course of several weekends.

As an FYI, I perform all my own paint jobs, I know the amount of effort it takes to do a quality paint job and because I have a full time job, a quality paint job would take me close to a year to complete. That's the main reason why I like this as an alternative.

Yeah, I'm with PC79. Where a $10,000 paintjob makes a statement, a $200 paint job makes a statement too, just depends on what ya want to say.

I am also well aware of the work a quality paint job entails. You got what you asked for - opinions. I gave mine, which is I am not a fan of "faux" things on cars - paint or otherwise. If it isn't actually aged or vintage, it's just fake to me. It's a trend no different than 80's heartbeat graphics or 90's monocolor. Some people may like it, but I'm into more timeless looks. (personal preference) Sounds like you had already made up your mind and were just looking for support, not opinions. If you want to use the product go for it. I am sure there are people who will be interested...

The faux stuff is OK for cheep, quick, and easy, and when you put fake rust on a plastic car you're doubling down on it. Kinda like living in a double wide mobile home and eating potted meat sandwiches with the crust cut off. You double down on tacky and it somehow starts working. (I doo like potted meat)!! :p

Did you try that 'rust paint'? I'm getting close to putting this fiberglass body on a ratty frame/drivetrain, and would like to make the body match. I let the body sit outside for years and the plywood floor rotted out.

Attachments

• thumbnail_20170315_084409-1_resized.jpg
    thumbnail_20170315_084409-1_resized.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 21
Did you try that 'rust paint'? I'm getting close to putting this fiberglass body on a ratty frame/drivetrain, and would like to make the body match. I let the body sit outside for years and the plywood floor rotted out.
:D:D:D
But the rest of it still looks like the same piece of plastic. I am sure there is a way to fix it. [ddd

Not a bad lookin' little coupe, really. Maybe just sand it a bit, and give it a flatish clear coat.

None of you have addressed patching an old-rust coloured vehicle. Let's say you've got a pretty nice patina-ed Model A, [dark brown rust]. Now, both back fenders have to be straightened out a bit and one has to be welded. Do you want to just leave all of your hammer marks and weld beads, or do you want to smooth your repairs down and leave them? Or do you want to smooth them down and paint the shiny parts to try and match the rest of the car? I agree that fake patina that looks fake is uncool, so let's try to find something that looks real and fools the public.

I use the fine steel wool/salt and vinegar method for cool rust streaks.

Attachments

• 20160909_174728.jpg
    20160909_174728.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 20160909_174742.jpg
    20160909_174742.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 17
Ya don't get any rustier than my 31! Real? Yes by God it is! Was it induced? Yessir, It was hurried along with my own two little hands! Is it fake? Not only no, but He!! no! It was hurried along....much like those pesky bolts and nuts most of us hurry along with an air wrench...
My truck cab and bed are probably 60-70 percent new metal. The remaining original tin had the dark pitted finish that nature down here gives them. I matched the metal up by speeding up the same processes Mother Nature uses when dealing with steel. Surface scratched by wire wheel leaves presentable surface to attract and hold moisture. A strong cleaner with an oxidizer that helps etch the surface of the metal. This step speeds up the oxidation process along with warming from the sun as the parts sit in the sun for lot's of the process. If ya didn't know where the new was on mine, you'd think it was all 81 year old tin.
I don't know about a trend. An 80+ year old truck that was rusty in my mind wouldn't look good with what new metal I put on it painted. I'm not a big fan of placing scored parts on a truck and leave them completely different colors. I'd probably rattle can them the same color of primer at least. The rusty look is maybe a statement of some sort, I guess...never been one of those guys that could spend hours and hours cleaning one up just to go riding for an afternoon and then have to go thru the same deal next time I take it out. I hop in a go, maybe blow the dust out with an air hose and rinse off the dirt and mud with a hose and lets go...I don't worry about scratchin it and the kids love climbing all over it...

I would have to agree with smallfoot, mine is not rusty, just no paint and a little primer here and there. [S
When i go to a cruize or show i like to empty the bags then get my california duster out and give it a good wipe down. :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back