'29 Chevy RPU from junk

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some old cars trigger a rush of endorphins that is very enjoyable for me. It takes a combination of factors. This rolling metal art you have created hits those buttons Bob. Feeeels gooood to look at.

Thanks for the kind remarks guys. I do think this one came out pretty good.

As some of you know I have a side project. Building a stroker 4.0 liter Jeep 6 cylinder. The engine will probably go in a Crosley Altered.

Today I started modifying the port injection intake manifold to fit a Holley carb. My machine tools consist of an angle grinder, saber saw and a die grinder. I cut and ground off all the extraneous knobs and brackets. Got the carb hole roughed out. Will square it up with the die grinder.

I'll bolt and bond the 2" spacer over the hole.

Attachments

• manifold 002.jpg
    manifold 002.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 38
  • manifold 001.jpg
    manifold 001.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 37
Thanks for the kind remarks guys. I do think this one came out pretty good.

As some of you know I have a side project. Building a stroker 4.0 liter Jeep 6 cylinder. The engine will probably go in a Crosley Altered.

Today I started modifying the port injection intake manifold to fit a Holley carb. My machine tools consist of an angle grinder, saber saw and a die grinder. I cut and ground off all the extraneous knobs and brackets. Got the carb hole roughed out. Will square it up with the die grinder.

I'll bolt and bond the 2" spacer over the hole.
I was going to ask that very question. That should work. :D [cl

Ya Bob, lots of grinding & cutting, but still a lot less work than building the 300 intake for the dragster. [;)[;)[;) Don't let that 300 intake get away if you sell the dragster, sure would like to get ahold of it, if it's not a sale deal breaker.:D

It runs! It moves under its own power! It... almost...stops.

A good clean up in the driveway and I did a bit of a photo shoot. Always open for suggestions, guys.

Don't worry Tom. If the dragster goes the manifold is coming your way.

I'm glad you like it e-man.

Attachments

• RPU Photo Shoot 009.jpg
    RPU Photo Shoot 009.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 39
  • RPU Photo Shoot 011.jpg
    RPU Photo Shoot 011.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 39
  • RPU Photo Shoot 013.jpg
    RPU Photo Shoot 013.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 37
  • RPU Photo Shoot 010.jpg
    RPU Photo Shoot 010.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 38
  • RPU Photo Shoot 007.jpg
    RPU Photo Shoot 007.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 39
  • RPU Photo Shoot 006.jpg
    RPU Photo Shoot 006.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 39
  • RPU Photo Shoot 005.jpg
    RPU Photo Shoot 005.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 39
  • RPU Photo Shoot 004.jpg
    RPU Photo Shoot 004.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 40
  • RPU Photo Shoot 003.jpg
    RPU Photo Shoot 003.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 44
  • RPU Photo Shoot 001.jpg
    RPU Photo Shoot 001.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 43
That's a lot of pipes under those carbs :D

Yep, six in and six out. The intake pipes are 1-1/2" conduit 90 degree bends cut in half. I don't think heat will be a problem. If it is, there's room for some form of insulation between the pipes and the plenum.

Dr C., the sticker is from Larry (the animal) Garner, here on UDS.

Lift off top is a great suggestion. Thinking about a center divider for the windshield. Looks too wide to me.

Dr C., the sticker is from Larry (the animal) Garner, here on UDS.

Thanks. I think I need a few!

Lift off top is a great suggestion. Thinking about a center divider for the windshield. Looks too wide to me.

I loved the lines of your REO. (Nudge, nudge, wink, wink. ;))

I have an idea for a center divider. I'll mess with me crayons and post, if it looks like anything!

Bob, that Chevy Roadster PU looks great, just my 2 cents, I think the window looks fine, not much different than my 29 RR :). Love the slant motor with your home made 2x2 setup, real nice. Going to get lots of looks at the morning meeting with the boys :D. Thanks for thinking of me on the 300 intake ;).
What's next in the shop? :eek:

The brakes are still a problem on the roadster. Instead of working on it, I shifted gears and am working on the Jeep stroker engine. I took the block, rods and ARP rod bolts to the machine shop. We agreed on the build parameters. Ordered pistons and rings. The rings cost more than the pistons.
Picked up the intake manifold from Jerry the Sandblaster. Of course, we had to sit in the shade and visit for a while. It's an old guy thing.
Decided not to bond the 2" spacer to the manifold in case the engine preferred a different height spacer. So I made a 1/4" plate and bonded that to the manifold instead. It looks to be a well designed manifold. The runners are pretty close to the same length. There's a You Tube video of a 242 Jeep engine build where they modified the same manifold to fit a carb so I'm pretty sure it will work.

Attachments

• intake 001.jpg
    intake 001.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 22
  • intake 002.jpg
    intake 002.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 24
Ya Bob, that is a real nice looking manifold. What size carb are you going to run on it? Runners do look to be close to equal length, Nice factory jeep intake. You know that there was a guy on the SDRA site (might have been track owner) in Tulsa, OK, had a young guy driving. The dragster was more or less a SDRA ride that had a built Jeep motor, think it ran mid to low 9's, way more than most SDRA inline 6 dragsters. Keep up the good work, both the RPU & Jeep intake look great. Stay safe & well.:D I sent you a PM last night.

Last edited:
Tom, I think the four quickest SDRA dragsters are Jeep powered. Maybe the Four cylinder Chevy II rear engine dragster in there too. The Tulsa track owner is one of them. They all can run way under the index of 11.50.
I've got a few Holleys, 650 and 750 CFM. The 750 worked good on the Ford 6 in the dragster.
The top plate is permanently affixed to the manifold. Here's how it looks with a 2" spacer, a carb and home made scoop.

Attachments

• jeep man 001.jpg
    jeep man 001.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 26
  • jeep man 002.jpg
    jeep man 002.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 26
  • jeep man 003.jpg
    jeep man 003.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 29
Bob, that intake/carb/scoop lot real nice. Should make a fine setup for the Jeep motor.[;) Ya I think a large group of the SDRA guys have moved a long ways from what the index group was put together as. They are nothing but modern day FMD with a short wheelbase. [S

Latest posts

Back