'29 Chevy RPU from junk

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Put the intake/exhaust on the slantie. It will need a little modification on the rear collector. Grabbed some '37 Chevy springs to use in the rear. I knew there was a pair of Chevy AD truck frame rails somewhere in the hay behind the house. Found 'em and cut off about 4 feet in the rear to use for the frame under the rear axle. It will be underslung both front and rear. set a radiator in front of the axle. I hope to find room for it behind the axle and in front of the tie rod.

Attachments

• More mock up 003.jpg
    More mock up 003.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 94
  • More mock up 004.jpg
    More mock up 004.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 95
  • More mock up 002.jpg
    More mock up 002.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 112
The Reo was underslung in the rear, E-man. This time I thought I'd try underslung on both ends. Building hot rods is about trying different build techniques. Sometimes they even work.
Today I picked up material to box the frame. Tore the whole thing apart so I can cut the plates and weld them in. Then it's on to figuring out the rear frame rails and spring mounts, which will be quite similar to the Reo.

Here's a pic of the Reo rear suspension.

Attachments

• Chassis 003.jpg
    Chassis 003.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 98
Somehow I found myself with an extra hour of time this morning so I carved out and tacked in one of the boxing plates. Then the little woman called me in to change the clocks. Hmmm.

Attachments

• Boxing Plate 089.jpg
    Boxing Plate 089.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 71
  • Boxing Plate 090.jpg
    Boxing Plate 090.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 68
Tacked the other boxing plate. Cut out the frame extensions and the rear crossmember. The crossmember will be welded to the triangular pieces on top of the frame extensions. Cleaned all the excess off the rear frame pieces, straightened them and cut them to length. Next the rear springs need to be rebushed. I'll need to find a friend with a lathe and some free time to turn the o.d. of the bushings down to the spring eye diameter.

Attachments

• rear frame pieces 003.jpg
    rear frame pieces 003.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 66
  • rear frame pieces 002.jpg
    rear frame pieces 002.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 67
  • rear frame pieces 001.jpg
    rear frame pieces 001.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 66
I like the way this one is going.
I have to say though, I'm on the fence with the way the front of the chassis is underslung.
[P[P[P

I like the way this one is going.
I have to say though, I'm on the fence with the way the front of the chassis is underslung.
[P[P[P

I was too for just a minute...he's got the leaves swapped right for the underslung idea.

Last edited:
There's nothing new under the sun, OI. Here's an underslung example. My tie rod looks like it will be okay behind the axle whereas this roadster has it in front of the axle.

Attachments

• my t again.jpg
    my t again.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 73
Got the crossmember directly behind the body tacked in. Built the brackets to mount the rear of the back leaf springs. Mocked up the rear frame rails.
This is the second ugliest frame I've built. The Reo being number one.

Attachments

• Rear of Frame 001.jpg
    Rear of Frame 001.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 78
  • Rear of Frame 002.jpg
    Rear of Frame 002.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 77
  • Rear of Frame 003.jpg
    Rear of Frame 003.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 77
  • Rear of Frame 005.jpg
    Rear of Frame 005.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 72
I made some spring brackets. The two on the left are for the front of the springs (no shackle) and the one on the right is for the shackle end of the spring.

Attachments

• Spring brackets 001.jpg
    Spring brackets 001.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 73
What do you use to cut your steel with Bob?
I used a Sawzall for years but my thumbs and wrists wore out. Now I use a 4 1/2" angle grinder with thin (.040") cut off wheels for almost everything. Once in a while the cutting torch comes into play.

Bob, your going to have a full plate this winter with your Bantam, Roadster & getting the dragster ready for it's first 10.99 pass this spring. [cl [P

Bob, your going to have a full plate this winter with your Bantam, Roadster & getting the dragster ready for it's first 10.99 pass this spring. [cl [P

Yes Tom, there's lots of projects to choose from. I work on whatever is the most fun for me at the time. Right now the roadster project is the one that has my interest. The rear underslung frame rails are now permanently attached.

Attachments

• full frame 002.jpg
    full frame 002.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 60
Ya Bob, If you get a few more projects you are going to need a bigger shop.
Got a note from the grandkids yesterday that it was 18 at there place in MI. that does not far well for work on the dragster until spring. Keep the pictures coming. really like to follow your progress. [;)[P

AH, projects, wake up, walk out there and take a 360 degree spin and pick a direction to go. There'll be a project waiting...sounds familiar.[cl[cl[cl

Still picking away at it. Cleaned all the spring leaves with a paint stripping wheel on my 4 1/5" angle grinder. It caused a lot of airborne rust/dust.
Here's a pic of how the rear suspension lays out. The 8" Ford rear end will sit on top of the springs.

Attachments

• rear spring 001.jpg
    rear spring 001.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 67

Latest posts

Back