377 ci motor

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DOUGIEB59

Ok gurus, here we go...
I want to build a quick "winding" motor, that will survive @ 62-6800 rpm i dont want to spend huge money... And i dont want to go 140 mph!

Im thinking 377 (big bore/short stroke)

am building a 31 model a rod for street use... Tremec 5 sp, jaguar rear w 3:88 ratio, 32inch tall tires.

The whole rig should weigh less than 2400 #

now heres the kicker, the car also has a 671 roots blower and 2 fours. So im presuming that will make up for any low end torque problems.

I have some aluminum heads and have a nice roller cam that lives @ 2000-6500 rpm...

Speedway offers a forged internals kit that will yield about 8.5 compression

do ya see any holes in my plan so far??

i prefer a 400 cid two bolt main over the four bolt block any day of the week. i prefer the 400 block and 350 crank over the 350 block 400 crank too. that being said, i believe your on the right track. we ran a few of these motor setups (no blower) and they were strong running motors. good luck.

ps remember to drill the steam ports if the heads don't already have them.

I have a mild 377 in a light car and it is plenty fast. Lots of street set up blowers don't add much and they don't need to. Do you know how much boost you will have?

If I was buying new parts I doubt I'd downsize to a 377 when you can build a 406 for the same money.

Because I'm an old guy "quick winding" for a sbc means a 3" stroke.:D

Aint really buying much new... Mostly just stuff i have around, or came w the buy.

Planning about 6-8 # boost, w a little overdrive on the pulleys for low end push..

Had a 377 in a camero as a kid, the thing would wind up like a banshee, and it sure was a blast to run it through the gears :)

i think i just dont wanna grow old!!

I have a mild 377 in a light car and it is plenty fast. Lots of street set up blowers don't add much and they don't need to. Do you know how much boost you will have?

If I was buying new parts I doubt I'd downsize to a 377 when you can build a 406 for the same money.

Because I'm an old guy "quick winding" for a sbc means a 3" stroke.:D

3" stroke, 400 cid block, i figure somewhere around 326 cid of 9000 rpm screaming monster.

Anybody out there good w a street blower?

Not personally, but have a few buddies with them. The common theme I've seen for good "street" mannerisms is in the cam. I would lean towards putting in a "blower" cam. A friend of mine has a chevelle with 671 blown 454 in it. Motor is 7.5:1 with a big roller cam. Between the lope of the cam and how the blower rotors affect the intake charge it doesn't idle in gear worth a damn. The car surges big time making it a real challenge to drive in traffic. It sounds bad a$$ but he doesn't even like taking it out.

I set up a friends 350 blower motor using a 305 marine chevy cam after using 4 other cams that were supposedly "blower " cams.
I ran a 377 in my dirt modified. But it was set up for alcohol...'70 chevy pistons, 350 rods, deck block to zero, 461x heads, would run 7k all night.

weld on.......

Latest posts

Back