A little help here

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soltz

The Rat Captain
OK, I need some help from you chevy gurews. Here's my trouble, working with an unknown year sbc and the distributor won't turn or come out.
A far as I know there is nothing that should be holding on below the manifold [S I found this out trying to adjust the timing. Today I took the manifold bolts out to take dist. out with the manifold, NOT :cool:
Any help would be good.
Tomorrow I'm taking my port-a-power to it. I'm replacing the dist. to HEI and the manifold to a spreadbore.
HELP, pleases

Should just be one bolt holding a C-shaped clip around the base of the distributor. Probably had water in the block at one time and the distributor gear is probably rusty. I believe some blocks have 2 holes to mount that clip, but they should be the only thing holding it in there.

I've had a couple stubborn ones.
If you can get to it with a pipe wrench, turn it back and forth a little at a time it should free up.
On an engine that has been sitting for a long time, they stick in the lower distributor bore.
I actually had to cut one out of a 389 Pontiac engine.

WTH

All the above attempted, if 4 tons won't do it [S

8dff18e2-8a39-4e7a-b48a-1e8df78c74e2_zps3fbf7f6e.jpg

Well, first thing is , someone has put the engine in backwards......[cl oh you said Chevy. Hahaha. Wow, that's a thought one. It seems the aluminum bodies of distributors always get gunked up where they go through the cast iron manifold. If you are replacing the distributor anyway, I would cut the t off so I could get to the round body of it and tap side to side. Aluminum against cast iron is not a good combo, especially if water is presents good luck.might have to do the cam first.

Soak it real good with PB Blaster, then try a little heat on the manifold. Just running the engine might get it warm enough. Like Old Iron said, pipe wrench, maybe even a shop hammer and a punch to try and break it loose.

4 Tons did the trick

OK, by using the porta power I forced the front of the manifold up until it broke the dist. shaft housing, then I broke of the counter weights off the top of the shaft and was able to pull the dist out.
I was told by someone that this was a marine engine and they might be right because the manifold is aluminum (factory) not case iron. Where it is secede is the lower pass through the block.
In the picture that's the dist. drive shaft going down to the cam gear and the shoulder looking thing is the bottom of the dist. housing, so it's out with the motor and tear down to see if it can be saved [S

Just got my registration for it's first show a week from satruday and now I don't have a car :(

It's looking like my good priced starter car is turning out to be not so good :eek:

Wish me luck

dist3_zps0c6d81fa.jpg

a lot of later chevy motors came with aluminum intakes even the two barrels. i had a 350 do that years ago. i got it out and pulled the pan. removed the oil pump and drove it out. i replaced the cam and lifters (the reason it all started anyway) a new oil pump and it turned out to be a nice little motor.

Your Right

a lot of later chevy motors came with aluminum intakes even the two barrels. i had a 350 do that years ago. i got it out and pulled the pan. removed the oil pump and drove it out. i replaced the cam and lifters (the reason it all started anyway) a new oil pump and it turned out to be a nice little motor.

The replacement 350 I pickup for a good price turned out to be not so good. Water in 3 intake runners :( I'm hoping the valves were closed and it's just in the head). So I took 26T's advice and pulled the engine, and drove the broken part out, only took 5 hits with a 3 lbs hammer. Being cheap as I am no new parts, put a used HEI dist. in and it went in smoothly, that is what started all this, and installed a 4 barrel spread bore carb and manifold. Today put the eng. back in ( I'm getting to old for one man eng. trans installations) and tomorrow I'll rap it up and see if it runs. [S If luck is with me I'll make the show on Saturday that I was planning on.
Thanks everyone for the encouragement and advice :D

Latest posts

Back